The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is an exceptional hardtail trail bike, engineered for a range of outdoor adventures. Its stable trail geometry offers a sense of assurance, much like the calming warmth of a campfire. This bike features a 120 mm suspension fork, which provides a cushioned experience over uneven surfaces, similar to walking on a padded forest floor. The 29-inch wheels are designed to sustain momentum and gracefully overcome obstacles, evoking the agility of an experienced hiker. The 2.6-inch wide tires deliver solid traction and support, akin to a hiker’s secure hold on a trekking pole. Rounding out the features is the MicroSHIFT Advent X drivetrain, offering smooth and predictable gear transitions, much like a well-executed travel itinerary.
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is optimally designed for bikepacking journeys. Its stable geometry is tailored for long-haul rides, making it convenient to load bikepacking bags for multi-day adventures. The bike is adept at navigating through a variety of terrains, from forests to mountains, ensuring that gear remains securely fastened. The MicroSHIFT Advent X drivetrain guarantees smooth and reliable gear transitions, making the bike versatile for both climbing challenges and descending routes. Overall, the bike offers a well-rounded blend of comfort, control, and adaptability for leveling up your bikepacking experience.
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The geometry of the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is thoughtfully designed for a well-rounded riding experience. It features a 120 mm suspension fork and moderately slack headtube angle, aiming to strike the perfect balance between stability and quick handling. The seat tube angle is optimized for efficient pedalling, making it easier to tackle uphill climbs. Additionally, the bike has a notably extended wheelbase, which contributes to its overall stability. The chainstay length remains consistent across all sizes, ensuring uniform and predictable handling characteristics.
When it comes to riding characteristics, the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ offers both comfort and performance. The consistent headtube and seat tube angles contribute to a stable yet agile ride, making it well-suited for both climbing and descending. The 29” wheels and 2.6”-wide tires provide excellent traction, making it easier to navigate through obstacles and rough terrains. The MicroShift’s Advent X drivetrain ensures smooth shifting, allowing for seamless transitions. The long wheelbase enhances stability, especially at higher speeds, while the uniform chain stay length ensures that the bike handles consistently. The bike’s geometry and suspension fork work together to offer a ride that is both reassuring and exhilarating, making it ideal for trail adventures and weekend getaways.
- Effective Top Tube Length: Ranging from 566.7 mm to 668.5 mm across sizes, the effective top tube length is designed to offer a comfortable reach, making it neither too stretched out nor too cramped compared to other bikes.
- Stand Over Height: With measurements from 688.6 mm to 808.7 mm, the stand-over height is relatively low, allowing for easier mounting and dismounting compared to bikes with higher stand-over heights.
- Reach: The reach varies from 400.6 mm to 494.3 mm, providing a balanced riding position that is neither too aggressive nor too relaxed.
- Stack Height: The stack height is fairly consistent across sizes, ranging from 601.9 mm to 629.3 mm, ensuring a more upright riding position compared to bikes with lower stack heights.
- Seat Tube Length: Ranging from 355 mm to 508 mm, the seat tube length is tailored to accommodate a wide range of rider heights.
- Headtube Length: With lengths from 95 mm to 125 mm, the headtube length is moderate, offering a good balance between stability and responsive handling.
- Headtube and Seat Tube Angles: The headtube angle is consistently around 68.6 degrees, and the seat tube angle is around 74.6 degrees, making for a geometry that balances both comfort and performance.
- BB Drop: The BB drop is nearly consistent across all sizes, ranging from 62 mm to 61.7 mm, contributing to a low center of gravity and stable handling.
- Chainstay Length and Fork Dimensions: The chainstay length, fork length axle to crown, and fork offset are uniform across all sizes at 439 mm, 501 mm, and 51 mm respectively, ensuring consistent handling characteristics.
- Wheelbase: The wheelbase ranges from 1101.9 mm to 1207.1 mm, which is on the longer side, adding to the bike’s stability, especially at higher speeds.
vs. the Salsa Rangefinder Deore 11 29″
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 11 29″, with its Shimano Deore drivetrain, is a more premium version of the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″. With a very similar frame, the primary differences are in the groupset as follows:
- Deore 11 29″: Features Shimano’s 11-speed Deore drivetrain.
- Advent x 29″: Uses MicroSHIFT’s Advent X drivetrain. The Deore drivetrain is generally considered a higher-tier groupset, offering smoother and more reliable shifting.
- Rangefinder Deore 11 29″: SR Suntour XCR32 Boost or RST Aerial, both with 120 mm travel, suitable for varied terrains.
- Rangefinder Advent x 29″: SR Suntour XCM32 Boost with 120 mm of travel, also versatile but leans towards comfort and stability.
- Dropper Post:
- Deore 11 29″: Comes with a dropper post offering better control, especially during descents.
- Advent x 29″: Does not feature a dropper post.
vs. the Salsa Timberjack SLX 29″
The Salsa Timberjack SLX 29″ is designed for more aggressive trail riding with a 130 mm suspension fork, compared to the 120 mm fork on the Rangefinder Advent x 29″, which is geared towards general trail stability. The Timberjack also features an adjustable TranzX dropper post and Shimano’s SLX drivetrain, offering more control and smoother shifting. These advanced features make the Timberjack SLX 29″ a more performance-oriented option, suitable for technical terrains, whereas the Rangefinder Advent x 29″ offers a simpler but effective ride for general trail use.
- Frame and Fork:
- Timberjack SLX 29″: Features a 130 mm suspension fork.
- Rangefinder Advent x 29″: Comes with a 120 mm suspension fork. The Timberjack’s longer fork is designed for more aggressive trail riding, while the Rangefinder aims for general trail stability.
- Timberjack SLX 29″: Equipped with Shimano’s SLX drivetrain.
- Rangefinder Advent x 29″: Uses MicroSHIFT’s Advent X drivetrain. The SLX drivetrain is a higher-tier groupset, offering smoother and more reliable shifting.
- Dropper Post:
- Timberjack SLX 29″: Features an adjustable TranzX dropper post offering better control, especially during descents.
- Rangefinder Advent x 29″: Does not include a dropper post.
- Ride Feel:
- Timberjack SLX 29″: More performance-oriented, suitable for aggressive trail riding and technical terrains.
- Rangefinder Advent x 29″: Provides a balanced and effective ride, ideal for general trail use.
- Timberjack SLX 29″: Designed for aggressive trail riding, featuring updated geometry for stability in technical terrains.
- Rangefinder Advent x 29″: Features stable trail geometry aimed at a balanced ride. The Timberjack’s geometry is more tailored for technical riding, while the Rangefinder focuses on overall trail stability.
120 mm Suspension Fork: While many bikes in a similar price range offer either no suspension or a shorter fork, the 120 mm fork on the Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is a balanced choice for both climbing and descending, making it versatile for various terrains.
Dependable Drivetrain: The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is equipped with a MicroSHIFT’s Advent X drivetrain, offering reliable and smooth shifting specifically designed for trail performance. This focus on a quality drivetrain differentiates it from competitors that may compromise on this component.
Robust Fork: The bike comes with a 120 mm Suntour XCM32 Coil Fork, a feature that provides a balanced approach to both climbing and descending on trails. This fork length sets it apart from other bikes in its price range, which may offer no suspension or shorter forks.
Reliable Brakes: While the specific type of brakes was not mentioned, the fact that the bike comes equipped with reliable brakes designed for trail conditions adds to its unique selling points, as braking is often compromised in budget-friendly trail bikes.
Internal Cable Routing: The bike includes an internal cable routing system, enhancing its visual appeal and reducing the chance of cable wear and tear.
Bag and Rack Mounting Points
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Toptube Mount: The toptube has a mount that is compatible with Salsa EXP Series Top Tube bags.
Rear Rack Mounts: In order to mount a rear rack, a Salsa Post-Lock seatpost collar is required due to the absence of upper mounting eyelets on the seatpost,
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Under Downtube Mount: There’s a mount under the downtube, which is a common place to carry an extra water bottle or tool keg.
Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ Featured in the Wild
The PedalChef review describes the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ as a solid aluminum hardtail ideal for those getting into mountain biking or looking to delve into bikepacking. The bike offers a capable ride but faces stiff competition from other models that deliver more for less. The reviewer appreciates the MicroSHIFT Advent X 10-speed drivetrain, describing it as “solid, lightweight and offers great gearing.” However, the review also points out that the Suntour XCM32 Coil Fork is basic and a bit heavy for its price point. Overall, the Advent X model is considered the best value in the Rangefinder lineup.
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ drivetrain is highlighted by a microSHIFT Advent X rear derailleur and a 10-speed, 11–48t cassette, ensuring reliable and smooth gear changes. For braking, riders have the option between Shimano MT200 or Tektro M520 brakes, paired with Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors. The bike rolls on Shimano hubs and WTB ST i30 32h 29″ rims, wrapped in Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6″ tires, providing excellent traction.
- Frame: Rangefinder Aluminum
- Fork: SR Suntour XCM32 Boost, Coil, NLO, DS, 120 mm
- Seatclamp: Salsa Lip-Lock
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: microSHIFT Advent X M6205
- Cassette: microSHIFT Advent X H104 11–48t, 10-speed
- Chain: Shimano HG54
- Crankset: FSA Alpha Drive, 30t, FSA 124.5 mm bottom bracket
- Shifter: microSHIFT Advent X M9605
- Brakes: Shimano MT200 OR Tektro M520
- Rotors: Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors (160 mm)
- Headset: FSA Orbit NO.57B 1.5 ZS
- Stem: Salsa Guide 31.8, 60 mm
- Handlebar: Salsa Salt Flat 31.8, 750 mm width XS–SM; Salsa Rustler 31.8, 800 mm width M–XL
- Grips / Bar Tape: Salsa File Tread
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide 30.9, 0 offset
- Saddle: WTB Volt Medium, Steel, 142 x 265 mm
- Front Wheel: Shimano MT400 Center Lock 15 x 110 mm TA hub, WTB ST i30 32h 29″ rim
- Rear Wheel: Shimano MT200 Center Lock 10 x 141 mm QR hub, WTB ST i30 32h 29″ rim
- Tires: Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6″, EXO, Wire Bead (not tubeless compatible)
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ frame is crafted from a robust 6061-T6 Aluminum, benefitting from the alloy’s inherent strength and resilience. This specific aluminum tubing undergoes a heat treatment to meet T6 alloy standards, amplifying its durability. The frame of the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 29″ is designed to accommodate 29 x 1.9–2.6-inch wheel and tire sizes, with an alternate option for 27.5 x 2.8–3.0 inches. It supports a suspension fork length of 100–130 mm and has a fork offset of 46 mm. The headset specifications are ZS44 for the upper and ZS56 for the lower. The seatpost is 30.9 mm in diameter, and the frame is compatible with internal routing for a dropper post. The bottom bracket is a 73 mm BSA, threaded type, and the rear spacing is 141 x 10 mm with a QR dropout system. The frame uses a 74 mm post mount for the rear brake, supporting 160–180 mm rotors. It also features a derailleur hanger FS2361 but does not support front derailleurs.
|A. Effective Top Tube
|B. Stand Over
|E. Total Seat Tube Length
|F. Headtube Length
|G. Headtube Angle
|H. Seat Tube Angle
|I. BB Drop
|K. Chainstay Length
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown
|M. Fork Offset
|Crank Arm Length
|Recommended Rider Height
Measurements based on:
- OE spec 120mm 29/27.5+ suspension fork at 25% sag
- 27.5 x 2.8″ tire measuring 722mm in diameter
- Standover is measured from vertically from ground to the top of the toptube, 50mm forward of the BB. Add 8-12.5mm (0.3-0.5″) for 29 x 2.4-2.6″ wheels/tires
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.