The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ is a hardtail trail mountain bike that elevates every ride into an adventure worth taking. With its stable trail geometry, it offers both comfort and confidence, making it easy to navigate through challenging terrain. A 120 mm suspension fork smooths out the bumps, rocks, and roots, allowing for a more enjoyable ride. The bike’s 27.5″ wheels and 2.8″-wide tires ensure excellent grip on a variety of trail surfaces. Equipped with microSHIFT Advent X components, the bike finds the sweet spot between durability, weight, and ease of use, making it a reliable choice for any trail outing.
Consider this bike your all-in-one adventure companion, fully equipped for the rigors of bikepacking. With ample cargo capacity its ready to haul all your journey’s necessities. The bike’s stable trail geometry not only offers a comfortable ride but also keeps your gear well-balanced, even when navigating through challenging landscapes. When the urge to explore becomes irresistible, this bike serves as your ultimate escape vehicle, making each bikepacking adventure a revitalizing experience.
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
vs. the Salsa Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5″ is a more premium version of the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+. With a very similar frame, the primary differences are in the componentry as follows:
- Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Comes with SR Suntour XCM32 Boost Coil with 120 mm of travel, suitable for consistent shock absorption.
- Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+: Features either SR Suntour XCR32 Boost or RST Aerial, both with 120 mm travel, offering more adjustability compared to the coil fork on the Advent x.
- Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Equipped with microSHIFT Advent X components, known for their reliability.
- Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+: Features Shimano Deore M5100 components, reliable and a tier above the microSHIFT Advent X in terms of smoothness.
- Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″, EXO Wire Bead, offering reliable performance but not tubeless compatible.
- Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+: Also comes with Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″, EXO Wire Bead, consistent in terms of grip and control like the Advent x.
- Ride Feel:
- Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Provides a consistent and straightforward ride, ideal for those who prefer less adjustability.
- Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+: Offers a more dynamic and customizable ride experience, thanks to features like the air fork and dropper seatpost.
vs. the Surly Bridge Club 27.5+
The Surly Bridge Club 27.5+ is designed for a more relaxed and versatile riding experience, suitable for both on-road and light off-road conditions. Its geometry leans towards comfort and stability, making it ideal for long-distance touring or casual trail rides. On the other hand, the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ is tailored for more aggressive trail riding, featuring a geometry that balances agility and stability. It’s equipped with components that are generally higher-end compared to the Surly, offering a more dynamic and customizable ride, particularly in technical terrains.
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Features its own Surly Bridge Club fork, designed for versatile use.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Comes with an SR Suntour XCM32 Boost Coil fork with 120 mm of travel, more focused on trail performance.
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Equipped with a mix of components, including a Shimano Deore rear derailleur, catering to a more budget-friendly market.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Features a microSHIFT Advent X groupset, which is generally considered higher-end and more trail-focused.
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Comes with WTB Trail Boss 27.5 x 2.4″ tires, designed for a balance of on-road and off-road use.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Features Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″ tires, more focused on trail performance.
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Equipped with Tektro Hydro HD-M275/276 brakes, reliable for varied conditions.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Offers the option of Shimano MT200 or Tektro M520 brakes, providing reliable stopping power but with a focus on trail performance.
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Comes with a standard Promax seatpost, functional but without the frills.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Features a Salsa Guide seatpost, aligning with its higher-end componentry.
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Equipped with Salsa Bend handlebars, designed for comfort.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Comes with either Salsa Salt Flat or Salsa Rustler handlebars, depending on the size, more focused on trail performance.
- Ride Feel:
- Surly Bridge Club 27.5+: Offers a more relaxed and versatile ride, suitable for a range of conditions including touring and light trail riding.
- Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+: Provides a more dynamic and trail-focused ride, with components like the coil fork adding to its aggressive nature.
Balanced Geometry: The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ features a geometry that strikes a balance between agility and stability. This design makes it versatile for various trail conditions, setting it apart in its category.
Dependable Drivetrain: Equipped with a microSHIFT Advent X groupset, the bike ensures reliable and smooth gear changes tailored for trail performance. This focus on drivetrain quality distinguishes it from competitors that might skimp on components.
Reliable Brakes: Offering options between Shimano MT200 or Tektro M520 brakes, the bike provides reliable stopping power specifically designed for trail conditions. This choice in braking systems adds a layer of customization to the ride.
Robust Fork: The bike comes with an SR Suntour XCM32 Boost Coil fork with 120 mm of travel, offering consistent shock absorption on rough terrains.
Internal Cable Routing: The bike includes an internal cable routing system, enhancing its visual appeal and reducing the chance of cable wear and tear.
Bag and Rack Mounting Points
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Toptube Mount: The toptube has a mount that is compatible with Salsa EXP Series Top Tube bags.
Rear Rack Mounts: In order to mount a rear rack, a Salsa Post-Lock seatpost collar is required due to the absence of upper mounting eyelets on the seatpost,
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Under Downtube Mount: There’s a mount under the downtube, which is a common place to carry an extra water bottle or tool keg.
Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ Featured in the Wild
The YouTube review by Jamesthebikeguy highlights the Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ as a compelling choice in the “rowdy hardtail” category, especially considering its lower price point compared to competitors. The reviewer emphasizes that the bike offers a balanced blend of features that make it suitable for a variety of trail conditions. He states, “Coming in at a much lower price than its competitors, the Salsa Rangefinder makes for a compelling choice in the rowdy hardtail category.” The review suggests that this bike is an excellent option for those looking for a versatile and affordable trail bike.
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ features an SR Suntour XCM32 Boost fork with 120 mm of travel, making it well-suited for trail riding. The drivetrain is powered by a microSHIFT Advent X rear derailleur and a 10-speed, 11–48t cassette, offering a reliable and versatile gear range. For braking, it provides options between Shimano MT200 or Tektro M520 brakes, paired with Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors. The bike rolls on Shimano hubs and WTB ST i40 rims, wrapped in Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″ tires.
- Frame: Rangefinder Aluminum
- Fork: SR Suntour XCM32 Boost, Coil, NLO, DS, 120 mm
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: microSHIFT Advent X M6205
- Cassette: microSHIFT Advent X H104 11–48t, 10-speed
- Chain: Shimano HG54
- Crankset: FSA Alpha Drive, 30t, FSA 124.5 mm bottom bracket
- Shifter: microSHIFT Advent X M9605
- Brakes: Shimano MT200 OR Tektro M520
- Rotors: Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors (160 mm)
- Headset: FSA Orbit NO.57B 1.5 ZS
- Stem: Salsa Guide 31.8, 60 mm, 6d
- Handlebar: Salsa Salt Flat 31.8, 750 mm width XS–SM; Salsa Rustler 31.8, 800 mm width M–XL
- Grips: Salsa File Tread
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide 30.9, 0 offset
- Saddle: WTB Volt Medium, Steel, 142 x 265 mm
- Front Wheel: Shimano MT400 Center Lock 15 x 110 mm TA hub, WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim
- Rear Wheel: Shimano MT200 Center Lock 10 x 141 mm QR hub, WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim
- Tires: Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″, EXO, Wire Bead (not tubeless compatible)
The Salsa Rangefinder Advent x 27.5+ frame is crafted from a robust 6061-T6 Aluminum, benefitting from the alloy’s inherent strength and resilience. This specific aluminum tubing undergoes a heat treatment to meet T6 alloy standards, amplifying its durability.The frame is designed to accommodate 27.5 x 2.8–3.0 wheel and tire sizes, with an alternate option for 29 x 1.9–2.6 sizes. It’s compatible with suspension forks having 100–130 mm of travel and a 46 mm fork offset. The frame uses a ZS44 upper headset and a ZS56 lower headset. It features a 30.9 mm seatpost with a 35.0 mm collar and is dropper-compatible with internal routing. The bottom bracket is a 73 mm BSA threaded type, and it accommodates a Boost 148 crankset with a 52 mm chainline and a max ring size of 32t. The rear spacing is 141 x 10 mm QR, and it uses a FS2361 derailleur hanger.
|A. Effective Top Tube||568.2||590.5||614.8||643.5||670.1|
|B. Stand Over||678.6||698.3||737.2||769.1||798.7|
|E. Total Seat Tube Length||355||381||431||470||508|
|F. Headtube Length||95||100||105||115||125|
|G. Headtube Angle||68||68||68||68||68|
|H. Seat Tube Angle||74||74||74||74||74|
|I. BB Drop||58||58||58||58||58|
|K. Chainstay Length||439||439||439||439||439|
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown||510||510||510||510||510|
|M. Fork Offset||46||46||46||46||46|
|Crank Arm Length||170||170||175||175||175|
|Recommended Rider Height||157cm–168cm||160cm–175cm||173cm–183cm||180cm–191cm||188cm–UP|
Measurements based on:
- OE spec 120mm 29/27.5+ suspension fork at 25% sag
- 27.5 x 2.8″ tire measuring 722mm in diameter
- Standover is measured from vertically from ground to the top of the toptube, 50mm forward of the BB. Add 8-12.5mm (0.3-0.5″) for 29 x 2.4-2.6″ wheels/tires
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.