The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ stands out as a feature-packed hardtail mountain bike that offers remarkable capabilities without breaking the bank. Engineered with an aluminum frame that boasts a geometry tailored for comfort and confidence, this bike is well-suited for a myriad of outdoor experiences. Its 120 mm suspension fork ensures a smooth ride by mitigating shocks from uneven surfaces. The Shimano 10-speed Deore drivetrain rounds out the package, providing a versatile gear range for tackling steep inclines. All in all, this hardtail is a dependable and cost-effective option for those looking to explore the great outdoors.
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ is an exceptional starting point for those new to bikepacking and eager to explore bikepacking routes. Its design is beginner-friendly, offering a balanced and fulfilling riding experience that makes it an excellent learning tool for trail bikepacking. The bike’s generous cargo capacity is perfect for carrying all the essentials for extended outdoor adventures. Coupled with its durable frame and versatile drivetrain, this value-packed bicycle is not only reliable but also an economical choice for those looking to venture into the world of bikepacking.
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The geometry of the Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ is notably accommodating and balanced. Its headtube and seat tube angles are consistently moderate, aiming to offer a middle ground between aggressive speed and comfortable cruising. The chainstay length is uniform across all sizes, emphasizing a harmonious blend of agility and control. The BB drop is moderate, striking a balance between stability and ground clearance.
Experiencing the Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ on the trail offers a well-balanced mix of stability and nimbleness. The bike’s Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″ tires offer excellent grip and cushioning, enhancing both control and comfort. The moderate headtube angle provides stable steering, making it easier to navigate through technical trails. At the same time, the moderate seat tube angle positions the rider in an efficient pedaling stance. The consistent chainstay length across all sizes ensures that the bike remains agile enough for quick turns, while the moderate BB drop adds a layer of stability, reducing the chances of tipping over during sharp manoeuvres.
vs. the Salsa Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 11 27.5+ with its 11-speed drivetrain, is a more premium version of the Salsa Rangefinder Deore10 27.5+. With a similar frame, the primary differences are in the components as follows:
- Deore 11: Equipped with an SR Suntour XCR32 Boost fork with air suspension.
- Deore 10: Comes with an SR Suntour XCM32 Boost fork with coil suspension.
- Deore 11: Features a Shimano Deore M5100 SGS rear derailleur with an 11-speed, 11–51t cassette.
- Deore 10: Equipped with a Shimano Deore M5120 SGS rear derailleur and a 10-speed, 11–46t cassette.
- Deore 11: Uses a Shimano Deore M5100 shifter.
- Deore 10: Employs a Shimano Deore M4100 (10-speed) shifter.
- Brakes and Rotors
- Deore 11: Comes with Shimano MT200 or Promax DSK-925 brakes and Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors (160 mm).
- Deore 10: Features Shimano MT200, Tektro M520, or Promax DSK-925 brakes and Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors (160 mm).
- Deore 11: Rides on wheels with Shimano MT400 Center Lock 15 x 110 mm TA hub and WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim.
- Deore 10: Uses wheels with Shimano MT200 Center Lock 10 x 141 mm QR hub and WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim.
- Deore 11: Features an FSA Alpha Drive crankset with a 30t chainring and FSA 124.5 mm bottom bracket.
- Deore 10: Equipped with the same FSA Alpha Drive crankset and bottom bracket as the Deore 11.
- Deore 11: Comes with a TranzX YSP18PLQ adjustable seatpost.
- Deore 10: Uses a Salsa Guide seatpost with 0 offset.
vs. the Surly Bridgeclub 27.5+
The Surly Bridgeclub 27.5+ and the Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ offer distinct riding experiences. The Bridgeclub features Tektro hydraulic brakes and a Shimano Deore 11-speed drivetrain, aimed at providing a reliable and straightforward ride. Its geometry is designed for comfort on long journeys. On the other hand, the Rangefinder Deore 10 offers coil suspension and a 10-speed drivetrain, focusing on a balanced but less adjustable ride. While both bikes aim for durability and versatility, the Rangefinder leans more towards off-road adaptability, at a relatively higher cost.
- Surly Bridgeclub: Features a Surly Bridge Club frame designed for long-distance comfort.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Features a Rangefinder Aluminum frame, designed for durability and off-road adaptability.
- Surly Bridgeclub: Comes with a Surly Bridge Club fork, matching the frame for long-distance comfort.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Equipped with an SR Suntour XCM32 Boost fork with coil suspension, aimed at balanced off-road performance.
- Surly Bridgeclub: Features a Shimano Deore 11-speed drivetrain, offering a reliable and straightforward gear range.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Comes with a Shimano Deore M5120 10-speed drivetrain, focusing on off-road adaptability.
- Brakes and Rotors
- Surly Bridgeclub: Equipped with Tektro hydraulic brakes and 160F/160R rotors, providing consistent stopping power.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Features Shimano MT200, Tektro M520, or Promax DSK-925 brakes and Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors (160 mm), offering multiple options for braking systems.
- Surly Bridgeclub: Uses Novatec hubs and WTB ST i29 TCS rims, designed for durability and long-distance travel.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Comes with Shimano MT200 Center Lock 10 x 141 mm QR hub and WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim, designed for off-road adaptability.
- Surly Bridgeclub: Features a Shimano Deore FC-M100 crankset with a 32t chainring.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Equipped with an FSA Alpha Drive crankset with a 30t chainring and FSA 124.5 mm bottom bracket.
- Ride Feel and Geometry
- Surly Bridgeclub: Designed for long-distance comfort and reliability, making it suitable for touring and commuting.
- Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10: Offers a balanced but less adjustable ride, focusing on off-road performance and adaptability.
Coil Suspension Fork: While many bikes in this price range offer basic front suspension, the SR Suntour XCM32 Boost fork provides a more balanced off-road performance, making it a standout feature for trail riding.
Versatile Brake Options: The availability of multiple brake options like Shimano MT200, Tektro M520, or Promax DSK-925 gives riders the flexibility to choose a system that best suits their riding style, which is uncommon in this price bracket.
Internal Cable Routing: A feature often reserved for higher-end models, the internal cable routing not only enhances the bike’s aesthetics but also offers better protection for the cables.
Bag and Rack Mounting Points
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Toptube Mount: The toptube has a mount that is compatible with Salsa EXP Series Top Tube bags.
Rear Rack Mounts: In order to mount a rear rack, a Salsa Post-Lock seatpost collar is required due to the absence of upper mounting eyelets on the seatpost,
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Under Downtube Mount: There’s a mount under the downtube, which is a common place to carry an extra water bottle or tool keg.
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ features a 10-speed Shimano Deore M5120 SGS drivetrain, providing a versatile 11–46t gear range. For braking, riders have the option of Shimano MT200, Tektro M520, or Promax DSK-925 systems, all complemented by Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors. The wheelset consists of Shimano hubs and WTB ST i40 rims, wrapped in Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″ tires, enhancing its off-road capabilities.
- Frame: Rangefinder Aluminum
- Fork: SR Suntour XCM32 Boost, Coil, NLO, DS, 120 mm OR RST Alpha 110-15 Coil MLC, 120 mm
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore M5120 SGS
- Cassette: Shimano Deore M4100 11–46t, 10-speed
- Chain: Shimano HG54
- Crankset: FSA Alpha Drive, 30t, FSA 124.5 mm bottom bracket
- Shifter: Shimano Deore M4100 (10-speed)
- Brakes: Shimano MT200 OR Tektro M520 OR Promax DSK-925
- Rotors: Shimano RT10 Center Lock rotors (160 mm)
- Headset: FSA Orbit NO.57B 1.5 ZS
- Stem: Salsa Guide 31.8, 60 mm
- Handlebar: Salsa Salt Flat 31.8, 750 mm width XS–SM; Salsa Rustler 31.8, 800 mm width M–XL
- Grips / Bar Tape: Salsa File Tread
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide 30.9, 0 offset
- Saddle: WTB Volt Medium, Steel, 142 x 265 mm
- Front Wheel: Shimano MT400 Center Lock 15 x 110 mm hub, WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim
- Rear Wheel: Shimano MT401 Center Lock 10 x 141 mm QR hub, WTB ST i40 32h 27.5″ rim
- Tires: Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8″, EXO Wire Bead (not tubeless compatible)
The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ frame is crafted from a robust 6061-T6 Aluminum, benefitting from the alloy’s inherent strength and resilience. This specific aluminum tubing undergoes a heat treatment to meet T6 alloy standards, amplifying its durability. The Salsa Rangefinder Deore 10 27.5+ features a versatile frame designed to accommodate 27.5 x 2.8–3.0-inch wheel and tire sizes, with an alternate option for 29 x 1.9–2.6-inch sizes. The frame is compatible with suspension forks having a travel range of 100–130 mm and a fork offset of 46 mm. It employs a ZS44 upper headset and a ZS56 lower headset. The seatpost diameter is 30.9 mm, and it’s compatible with internal routing for dropper posts. The bottom bracket is a 73 mm BSA, threaded type, and the frame is designed for a Boost 148 52 mm chainline with a maximum 32t ring. The rear brake mount is a 74 mm post mount compatible with 160–180 mm rotors. The frame uses a 141 x 10 mm QR rear spacing system and comes with a specific FS2361 derailleur hanger.
|A. Effective Top Tube||568.2||590.5||614.8||643.5||670.1|
|B. Stand Over||678.6||698.3||737.2||769.1||798.7|
|E. Total Seat Tube Length||355||381||431||470||508|
|F. Headtube Length||95||100||105||115||125|
|G. Headtube Angle||68||68||68||68||68|
|H. Seat Tube Angle||74||74||74||74||74|
|I. BB Drop||58||58||58||58||58|
|K. Chainstay Length||439||439||439||439||439|
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown||510||510||510||510||510|
|M. Fork Offset||46||46||46||46||46|
|Crank Arm Length||170||170||175||175||175|
|Recommended Rider Height||157cm–168cm||160cm–175cm||173cm–183cm||180cm–191cm||188cm–UP|
Measurements based on:
- OE spec 120mm 29/27.5+ suspension fork at 25% sag
- 27.5 x 2.8″ tire measuring 722mm in diameter
- Standover is measured from vertically from ground to the top of the toptube, 50mm forward of the BB. Add 8-12.5mm (0.3-0.5″) for 29 x 2.4-2.6″ wheels/tires
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.