As many people have stated in the Introduction to this series, if you were to ask 100 people what their perfect commuter bike is or would be, then you would have 100 different bikes. The purpose of this build is to get you, the commuter, to ask yourself different questions about the bike, its uses and what the person needs. To realize that the perfect commuter is the one you make yourself and it will be different as you ride more, change your commute or needs change.
Here is the background of myself, and what I would like out of a commuter bike so that you all can aid me in your suggestions and opinions. If there are questions you would like answered that aren’t in the brief description below please ask and I will add them.
- Athletic mid 20’s female
- Enjoys being able to wear non-cycling clothes for my 4 mile – 14 mile commute
- Mostly on road, with the ability to hit gravel or hard packed dirt
- Mild weather in the South East, the worst is fog and rain from October through March. Very rare snow dustings
- Commute is all times of the day and night
- Normally carrying clothes, computer and spare tools
- Would like to be able to ride the bike for longer distances, or Sub 24-48 hour camping trips
- I prefer to get to work faster than a gentle pace, but want the ability to go slower if needed (rain, etc)
Here are some questions to ask yourself about your perfect commuter bike:
- What do you want out of your bike?
- What are your longer term goals?
- What are your plans a year from now, are you moving, changing commuting habits or jobs?
- What do wear or want to wear?
- What is your goal speed?