We’ve all read about how bike commuting is on the rise in areas where bicycling is already popular such as Portland, OR; San Francisco; New York; and Boulder, CO. But what about where you live? Are rising gas prices making bike commuting more acceptable and visible?
I did a quick survey of news on bike commuting and here’s what I’ve found.
- Charlottesville, VA: Bike shop business up 27% over last year.
- Phoenix, AZ: Valley commuters rediscover bikes.
- Little Rock, AR: Park & ride.
- New Orleans: Fuel prices turn drivers to pedaling across town.
- Fort Worth: Local bike shop caters to recovering gas guzzlers.
- Augusta, GA: Rising gas prices create bicycle business boom.
- Salem, OR: Oregon Governor Kulongoski bikes to work.
Here’s some interesting news from the Republic of Korea — the city of Changwon offers up to W30,000 (about US$30) per month for those who commute by bike at least 15 days of the month. Read more.