The Karate Monkey was one of the first production 29ers. It put the 29˝ platform in front of a lot of people at a price within reach of many a bike nerd. Since then, 29” has become a full-blown category, with entire bike companies dedicated to the platform. In contrast to the old standard 26” wheels, 29˝ wheels have unique benefits: delivering increased traction, smoothing out terrain, carrying inertia, and generally fitting tall riders better.
The Karate Monkey helped set the standard for 29er geometry. While its tucked-in rear wheel keeps it nimble and maneuverable, its lack of shifting componentry keeps the bike simple — and the rider filled with a cathartic rage.
With a frame and fork made of custom-designed Surly CroMoly “’Natch” steel, the Karate Monkey delivers a resilient, lively, durable ride. The Karate Monkey frame has recently been updated to include features like internal dropper post routing, a new tubeset that uses the same trumpet tubes found on our Instigator 2.0, and a slight tweak in geometry that is more progressive and trail oriented. The Karate Monkey uses a horizontal dropout with a derailleur hanger spaced to what we call Gnot-Boost spacing. 10 x 135mm QR, 12 x 142, or 12 x 148 Boost™ will all work in the Karate Monkey frame. The frame uses a 44mm headtube for broad fork compatibility and is ED coated for an added layer of internal protection
- 100% Surly Chromoly steel frame and fork; double-butted main triangle and 44mm headtube
- The tubeset uses the same trumpet tubes found on Instigator 2.0 frame
- Adjustable rear dropouts with 145mm Gnot-Boost spacing. Works with 142, 148 12mm thru, as well as 135mm w/ 10/12 washer
- Internal dropper seatpost routing with 30.9mm seat tube ID
- Clearance for 29 x 2.55 or 27.5 x 3 tires
- Crankset: Shimano Deore FC-MT510-1, 30t
- Bottom Bracket: Included with the Shimano crankset
- Front Derailleur: Not applicable
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore RD-M6100, 12-speed
- Cassette / Cog: SunRace CSMZ800, 11-51t, 12-Speed
- Chain: KMC X12 NP/BK
- Grips / Bar Tape: Velo lock-on
- Handlebar: Salsa Rustler, logo-free
- Stem: ProMax, 31.8mm diameter
- Headset: Cane Creek 15
- Rear Shifter: Shimano Deore SL-M6100
- Brake & Rotors: Tektro HD-M275, with 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors
- Saddle: WTB Volt 142
- Seatclamp: Surly stainless, 33.1mm diameter
- Seatpost: ProMax, 30.9mm diameter
- Front Hub: 110mm, Novatec, 32 holes, Thru-Axle
- Rear Hub: 148mm, Novatec, 32 holes, Thru-Axle
- Rims: WTB i40 TCS
- Tires: Surly Dirt Wizard 29 x 3”, 60 tpi, Tubeless Ready
- Tubes: Included
Register your purchase at Surly’s Warranty Registration.
LIMITED WARRANTY FOR THE SURLY KARATE MONKEY 27.5+
This Surly product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for three years from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
This warranty does NOT cover the following:
- Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assembler
- Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
- Installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with bicycle as sold
- Damage or deterioration to the paint, surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product
- Normal wear and tear
- Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Surly, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Surly product and is not transferrable. This warranty applies only to products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Surly be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein.
This limited warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This limited warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.