Hey there, trail-blazer! 🚴♂️ Imagine a bike that glides through the wind, operating in stealth mode, yet is ready to roar on all of the road surfaces. Introducing the Salsa Journeyer Sora 700c – your smooth operator for all of your road and gravel cycling adventures. Crafted with an impeccable aluminum frame and our signature Waxwing carbon fork, it’s like the Swiss Army knife of bikes, versatile and reliable. Whether you’re conquering epic gravel routes or weaving through city alleys, its 700c wheels and 38 mm tires ensure a ride as smooth as butter. Novice or pro, this bike beckons: are you ready to answer the call? 🌄🌟
Alright, adventure-seekers, gather ’round the campfire! 🏕️ Ever thought of a bike that feels like it’s whispering, “Let’s take that mysterious turn up ahead”? Load up your bikepacking bags, and watch how this beauty balances weight, agility, and durability, making those uphill climbs and winding trails feel like a breeze. Whether you’re sharing stories with friends under the starlit sky or conquering new terrains solo, this bicycle ensures every journey is memorable. So, who’s up for a bikepacking tale to tell? 🌌🚴♂️🔥
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C design is rooted in the principles of gravel geometry, ensuring that riders of all sizes experience a harmonious blend of comfort and confidence, regardless of the terrain. The bike’s effective top tube length is tailored for different rider heights, ensuring an optimal fit. Furthermore, the consistent headtube and seat tube angles across all sizes provide a predictable riding experience, especially during descents.
Riding the Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C is akin to embarking on an adventurous expedition across diverse landscapes. Its unique geometry, combined with 700c x 38 mm tires, delivers a ride that is both smooth and grippy, allowing for seamless transitions from asphalt to off-road trails. The bike’s design ensures riders maintain a comfortable and ergonomic posture, reducing fatigue and enhancing the overall riding experience. Whether navigating through winding gravel paths or cruising city streets, the Journeyer Sora 700C guarantees a ride that is both thrilling and reassuring.
- Effective Top Tube: With effective top tube lengths ranging from 493mm to 600mm, the Journeyer ensures riders of all sizes can find a comfortable fit, distinguishing it from bikes that might have a more uniform top tube length.
- Stand Over Height: With stand over heights ranging from 613.5mm to 803.5mm, the Journeyer ensures that riders have adequate clearance, setting it apart from bikes that might have limited stand over variations.
- Reach and Stack: With reach values ranging from 366mm to 408mm and stack values from 510mm to 627mm, the Journeyer provides a balance between the rider’s forward position and the height of the handlebars, differentiating it from bikes with more aggressive or relaxed geometries.
- Headtube Length and Angle: With headtube lengths ranging from 90mm to 210mm and a consistent headtube angle of 69.5° across all sizes, the Journeyer ensures a predictable and controlled ride, especially during descents, compared to bikes with steeper or slacker angles.
- Seat Tube Angle: With seat tube angles ranging from 73° to 76° across different sizes, the Journeyer offers a comfortable seating position, distinguishing it from bikes that might have steeper angles for aggressive racing or slacker angles for relaxed cruising.
- BB Drop: With a consistent BB drop of 70mm across all sizes, the Journeyer ensures a low center of gravity for stability, setting it apart from bikes with higher or lower BB drops that might prioritize pedal clearance or stability.
- Chainstay Length: With a consistent chainstay length of 440mm across all sizes, the Journeyer offers a mix of stability and agility, differentiating it from bikes with shorter chainstays for agility or longer ones for stability.
- Fork Length Axle to Crown: With a consistent fork length axle to crown of 402mm across all sizes, the Journeyer ensures a balanced front-end feel, different from bikes with longer forks that might prioritize shock absorption.
- Wheelbase: With wheelbases ranging from 1027mm to 1104mm, the Journeyer ensures stability during rides, distinguishing it from bikes with shorter wheelbases for agility or longer ones for stability.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C
The Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C, equipped with a SRAM Apex 1 drivetrain, is a more premium version of the Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C. While both bikes share the same frame, the primary differences lie in the componentry as follows:
- Frame and Fork:
- Apex 1 700C: Features the Journeyer Drop-Bar Thru-Axle frame and the Waxwing fork.
- Sora 700C: Also uses the Journeyer Drop-Bar Thru-Axle frame and the Waxwing fork, ensuring similar structural integrity and ride feel.
- Apex 1 700C: Equipped with a SRAM Apex 1 drivetrain, offering a single 40t chainring and an 11-speed 11–42t cassette.
- Sora 700C: Comes with a Shimano Sora R3000 setup, featuring a double 46/30t chainring and a 9-speed 11–34t cassette.
- Rear Derailleur:
- Apex 1 700C: Uses the SRAM Apex 1 rear derailleur.
- Sora 700C: Incorporates the Shimano Sora R3000, Medium Cage rear derailleur.
- Brakes and Rotors:
- Apex 1 700C: Employs Tektro MD-C550 brakes with Tektro TR160-22 rotors (6-bolt, 160 mm).
- Sora 700C: Uses the same Tektro MD-C550 brakes and Tektro TR160-22 rotors, ensuring consistent braking performance.
- Apex 1 700C: Fitted with the Salsa Cowbell 3, 31.8 handlebar.
- Sora 700C: Also features the Salsa Cowbell 3, 31.8 handlebar, providing a similar grip and control.
- Apex 1 700C: Comes with Teravail Washburn tires, 700c x 38 mm, 60 tpi, Light and Supple casing, tubeless ready.
- Sora 700C: Features Teravail Washburn tires, 700c x 38 mm, 30 tpi, ensuring a similar traction but with a different tire construction.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer Advent 700C
The Salsa Journeyer Advent 700C, equipped with a microSHIFT Advent drivetrain, is a more economical version of the Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C. While both bikes share the same frame, the primary differences lie in the componentry as follows:
- Frame and Fork:
- Journeyer Advent 700C: Features the Journeyer Drop-Bar Quick-Release frame paired with the Fantail fork. This combination offers a balance of comfort and performance, especially on mixed terrains.
- Journeyer Sora 700C: Comes with the Journeyer Drop-Bar Thru-Axle frame and the Waxwing fork. This setup ensures a more rigid connection, enhancing stability, especially during high-speed descents.
- Journeyer Advent 700C: Uses a microSHIFT Advent drivetrain, emphasizing a 1x setup for simplified gear shifts and reduced maintenance.
- Journeyer Sora 700C: Equipped with Shimano Sora R3000 components, offering a 2×9 speed setup, providing a broader gear range suitable for varied terrains.
- Rear Derailleur:
- Journeyer Advent 700C: Features the microSHIFT Advent M6195, tailored for the 1x system.
- Journeyer Sora 700C: Uses the Shimano Sora R3000, Medium Cage, designed for the bike’s 2x system.
- Journeyer Advent 700C: Comes with the microSHIFT H093, 11–42t, 9-speed, offering a wide range for climbing and descending.
- Journeyer Sora 700C: Equipped with Shimano HG200, 11–34t, 9-speed, ensuring smooth transitions between gears.
- Journeyer Advent 700C: Given its simpler drivetrain, it might be a more cost-effective option for those prioritizing simplicity and reduced maintenance.
- Journeyer Sora 700C: With its broader gear range and enhanced components, it might come at a slightly higher cost, but offers added versatility for diverse riding conditions.
vs. the Surly Preamble Drop Bar
The Surly Preamble Drop Bar, constructed with 100% Chromoly steel tubing, offers a robust and resilient ride, ideal for diverse terrains, and is complemented by its mechanical disc brakes and a 9-speed microSHIFT drivetrain. In contrast, the Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C, while also designed for varied terrains, emphasizes a more refined ride with its Shimano Sora R3000 9-speed setup and Tektro brakes. While both bikes ensure stability and comfort, the Preamble leans towards rugged durability, whereas the Journeyer Sora 700C offers a blend of performance and everyday usability, reflecting in their relative costs.
- Frame and Fork:
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: Built with 100% Chromoly steel tubing, paired with a Chromoly steel fork, emphasizing durability and resilience.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Features the Journeyer Aluminum Thru-Axle frame and the Waxwing fork, focusing on a balanced combination of strength and ride comfort.
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: Uses a 3-piece Samox crankset with a 40t chainring and a 9-speed microSHIFT 11-36t cassette.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Equipped with a Shimano Sora R3000 setup, featuring a double 46/30t chainring and a 9-speed 11–34t cassette.
- Rear Derailleur:
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: Incorporates the microSHIFT RD-M46S rear derailleur.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Uses the Shimano Sora R3000, Medium Cage rear derailleur.
- Brakes and Rotors:
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: Employs Avid BB7 Mechanical brakes with SRAM 160mm rotors.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Features Tektro MD-C550 brakes with Tektro TR160-22 rotors (6-bolt, 160 mm).
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: Fitted with the Salsa Cowbell handlebar.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Also features the Salsa Cowbell 3, 31.8 handlebar.
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: Comes with Kenda Kwik Tendril 700c x 35mm tires.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Equipped with Teravail Washburn tires, 700c x 38 mm.
- Ride Feel and Geometry:
- Surly Preamble Drop Bar: With its Chromoly construction and mechanical disc brakes, it offers a rugged and durable ride, suitable for diverse terrains.
- Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C: Designed for varied terrains but emphasizes a smoother and more refined ride, with its specific Journeyer geometry ensuring comfort and stability.
Versatile Geometry: The Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C showcases a geometry meticulously designed for a variety of terrains, ensuring both comfort and confidence on everything from paved roads to rugged trails. The bike’s geometry is adjusted to cater to riders of diverse heights, striking a balance between comfort and efficiency.
Efficient Drivetrain: The Journeyer Sora 700C is equipped with Shimano’s Sora components, featuring Shimano Sora R3000 shifters and a Shimano Sora R3000 rear derailleur. This setup guarantees smooth gear shifts, consistent performance, and long-lasting durability.
Internal Cable Routing: The Journeyer Sora 700C benefits from internal cable routing, providing a sleek appearance and minimizing the risk of cable entanglement or damage. This design not only enhances the bike’s aesthetic but also slightly improves aerodynamics, contributing to enhanced performance.
Bag, Rack and Fender Mounting Points
The Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Top Tube Bag Mounts: The top tube features mounts that can accommodate a toptube bag, providing easy access to essentials during a ride.
Front Fork Mounts: There are multiple mounts on both sides of the front fork for water bottles, cargo cages, or front racks.
Rear Rack Mounts: The rear of the bike has mounts for attaching a standard rear rack for panniers or other gear.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Fender Mounts: The bike has mounts for full coverage fenders, which are essential for wet weather riding.
Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C Featured in the Wild
In the video review by Troy from “Troy and Andrea’s Little Adventures”, the Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C is lauded for its impressive performance and design. Troy mentions, “The Salsa Journeyer was supposed to be another review, but it was so fun to ride and checked all the right boxes, that I decided to buy it!” The video showcases the bike’s aesthetics, ride footage, and detailed insights into its components such as the drivetrain, brake set, wheel set, and cockpit area. Salsa’s commitment to quality and rider experience is evident in this model, making it a top choice for enthusiasts.
The Salsa Journeyer Sora 700C drivetrain is powered by Shimano, with an MT210 crankset and Sora R3000 for both front and rear derailleurs, complemented by a 9-speed HG200 cassette. For control and comfort, it boasts Tektro MD-C550 brakes, Salsa Cowbell 3 handlebars, and a WTB Volt Medium saddle. The wheels are anchored by WTB Serra hubs and rims, wrapped in Teravail Washburn tires, ensuring a smooth and reliable ride.
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.