Unleash your spirit of adventure with the Salsa Fargo, a bicycle that scoffs at the idea of what a bicycle should and should not do. This drop-bar off-road touring machine dares you to venture where others wouldn’t. Its triple-butted steel frame is prepared for whatever you encounter, so your big, rowdy tires can roll wherever you will them to. The SRAM’s Apex 1 drivetrain is the heart of this beast, pumping power and reliability into every ride.
Imagine the thrill of riding through the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route or navigating the twists and turns of the Oregon Outback. With the Salsa Fargo, these iconic gravel-road oriented bikepacking routes become your playground. This bike is a gravel beast, designed to handle the grit and grind of bikepacking gravel in all of its flavors with some spicy trail riding sprinkled on top. So load up and head on out for some epic bikepacking adventure with the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 rolling smoothly beneath you.
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
- Steel Frame Construction: The frame, known for its durability and unique ride feel, offers a balance between stiffness and compliance, suitable for diverse terrains.
- Alternator Dropouts: These unique dropouts allow for wheelbase adjustments, with the wheelbase varying from 1050–1067mm for XS to 1141–1158mm for XL, influencing the bike’s stability and maneuverability.
- Comfortable and Varied Geometry:
- The Effective Top Tube varies across sizes, from 520mm in XS to 620mm in XL, determining the horizontal length and influencing the rider’s reach.
- The Stand Over Height ranges from 690mm for XS to 859mm for XL, accommodating a variety of rider heights and ensuring easy mounting and dismounting.
- Reach extends from 350mm for XS to 409mm for XL, influencing the rider’s forward position on the bike.
- Stack increases from 594mm for XS to 690mm for XL, affecting the handlebar height and rider’s upright position.
- Consistent Angles for Predictable Handling:
- The Headtube Angle maintains a 69° angle across all sizes, influencing the bike’s steering characteristics.
- The Seat Tube Angle sits at 74° for XS and SM, and 73° for the larger sizes, affecting the rider’s pedaling position and center of gravity.
- Wide Tire Accommodation: Designed to fit wide tires, the frame geometry ensures flexibility based on terrain, with a consistent BB Drop of 70mm across sizes determining pedal clearance.
- Drop Bar Design Compatibility: The frame geometry, combined with a consistent Fork Offset of 51mm and Fork Length Axle to Crown of 480mm, is optimized for drop bars, providing a unique riding posture suitable for both on-road and off-road conditions.
- Front Suspension Compatibility: The geometry is optimized to work with suspension forks, allowing riders to add front suspension for a more comfortable off-road experience.
The Salsa Fargo Apex 1 stands out with its unique geometry, setting it apart from other bikes. Crafted from high-quality chromoly steel, the frame offers exceptional strength and stability for tackling rough terrains. The drop handlebars provide multiple hand positions, ensuring comfort during long rides and over diverse landscapes. Optimized for 29-inch wheels, the bike offers improved rolling capabilities and obstacle clearance. With triple cage mounts, boost hub spacing, and alternator dropouts, it provides unparalleled versatility for drivetrain setups and bikepacking adventures.
The riding experience on the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is truly exceptional. The well-designed geometry strikes a balance between off-road stability and on-road efficiency. The drop handlebars enable riders to easily switch hand positions, reducing fatigue on long rides. The combination of 29-inch wheels and wide tire clearance ensures superior traction and stability on challenging surfaces. Whether cruising on gravel, tackling dirt trails, or navigating pavement, the Fargo Apex 1 delivers a responsive and enjoyable ride that inspires confidence and encourages exploration.
vs. the Kona Sutra LTD
The Kona Sutra LTD and the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 offer distinctly different ride characteristics. The Sutra LTD, designed as a touring bike, provides a stable and smooth ride with its steel frame and touring-specific geometry, making it ideal for long-distance journeys on paved roads. In contrast, the Fargo Apex 1, built for off-road adventures, offers a more versatile experience with its chromoly steel frame, drop handlebars, and 29-inch wheels. It excels on various terrains, from gravel to dirt, delivering a responsive and confident ride that encourages exploration beyond the beaten path.
- Frame and Geometry: The Kona Sutra LTD features a touring-specific steel frame and geometry, prioritizing stability and comfort for long-distance rides on paved roads, while the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 boasts a chromoly steel frame with versatile geometry, striking a balance between off-road stability and on-road efficiency, making it suitable for gravel, dirt, and pavement riding.
- Wheel Size and Tires: The Kona Sutra LTD is designed for 700c wheels with touring tires, optimized for smooth pavement and light off-road riding. On the other hand, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is optimized for 29-inch wheels with ample tire clearance, allowing for wider tires that enhance traction and stability on challenging surfaces like gravel, dirt, and mud, making it a great choice for off-road enthusiasts.
- Drivetrain: The Kona Sutra LTD typically comes equipped with a road-oriented drivetrain, emphasizing on-road efficiency, which makes it suitable for covering long distances with ease on paved roads. In contrast, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 features the SRAM Apex 1 drivetrain, offering a wide range of gears that are well-suited for both climbing and fast descents in various terrains, making it a versatile choice for off-road adventures.
- Ride Feel: The Kona Sutra LTD delivers a stable and smooth ride, perfectly suited for relaxed touring experiences where comfort is a priority. On the other hand, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 provides a more dynamic and adventurous ride feel. Its geometry inspires confidence and exploration beyond paved roads, encouraging riders to tackle rough terrains and discover new paths.
vs. the Salsa Cutthroat C GRX 600
The Salsa Cutthroat C GRX 600 and the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 are radically different beasts. The Cutthroat C GRX 600 is purpose-built for speed and endurance, featuring a carbon frame, drop bars, and a racing geometry, ensuring blistering performance on gravel and long-distance races. In contrast, the Fargo Apex 1 is an all-terrain explorer, equipped with a chromoly steel frame, drop bars, and a versatile geometry that strikes a balance between off-road stability and on-road efficiency, inspiring confidence and enabling adventurous rides through gravel, dirt, and beyond. While the Cutthroat prioritizes speed on gravel, the Fargo dares you to venture off-road and embrace the uncharted territories.
- Frame and Geometry: The Salsa Cutthroat C GRX 600 features a carbon frame designed for speed and endurance, making it ideal for gravel racing and long-distance events. In contrast, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1’s chromoly steel frame with versatile geometry strikes a balance between off-road stability and on-road efficiency, encouraging exploration on various terrains.
- Wheel Size and Tires: The Cutthroat C GRX 600 is designed for 700c wheels with narrower tires, optimizing speed and efficiency on gravel surfaces, whereas the Fargo Apex 1 is optimized for 29-inch wheels with wider tire clearance, providing better traction and stability on diverse terrains.
- Intended Use: The Salsa Cutthroat C GRX 600 is purpose-built for gravel racing and long-distance endurance events, prioritizing speed and efficiency on gravel roads. On the other hand, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is geared towards all-terrain exploration and bikepacking, encouraging riders to venture off-road and embrace adventurous journeys beyond traditional routes.
- Drivetrain: The Cutthroat C GRX 600 is equipped with the Shimano GRX 600 drivetrain, offering precise shifting and gearing suitable for fast-paced gravel rides and races. Meanwhile, the Fargo Apex 1 features the SRAM Apex 1 drivetrain, providing a wide range of gears for tackling diverse terrains, making it a versatile choice for off-road adventures.
- Ride Feel: The Cutthroat C GRX 600 delivers a responsive and aggressive ride feel, optimized for speed and efficiency on gravel surfaces, inspiring riders to push their limits in racing scenarios. In contrast, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 provides a more versatile and confident ride feel, encouraging exploration on challenging off-road terrains, where stability and control are paramount.
vs. the All-City Gorilla Monsoon, Apex
The All-City Gorilla Monsoon, Apex, and the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 embody distinct ride characteristics. The Gorilla Monsoon boasts a playful and agile ride with its steel frame and dirt-oriented geometry, making it a go-to choice for fun-filled off-road adventures and gravel grinding. On the other hand, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 exudes versatility, striking a balance between off-road stability and on-road efficiency. With its chromoly steel frame, drop handlebars, and 29-inch wheels, it inspires exploration on varied terrains, from rough trails to long-distance touring. While the Gorilla Monsoon thrives in the thrill of the off-road, the Fargo Apex 1 invites riders to conquer any path with confidence and daring.
- Frame Material and Geometry: The All-City Gorilla Monsoon, Apex, boasts a steel frame with dirt-oriented geometry, providing a playful and agile ride experience, perfect for off-road adventures and gravel grinding. On the other hand, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 features a chromoly steel frame with a versatile geometry, striking a balance between off-road stability and on-road efficiency, making it an ideal choice for exploration on various terrains.
- Wheel Size and Tires: The Gorilla Monsoon, Apex, is designed for 27.5-inch wheels with wider tires, ensuring superior traction and stability on rugged terrains, enhancing its off-road capabilities. In comparison, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is optimized for 29-inch wheels with ample tire clearance, providing versatility on various surfaces, from gravel to dirt.
- Drivetrain: Both bikes feature the SRAM Apex drivetrain, providing precise shifting and a wide gear range suitable for tackling mixed terrain and challenging trails, making them versatile choices for off-road adventures.
- Ride Feel: The All-City Gorilla Monsoon, Apex, delivers a playful and agile ride feel, inspiring riders to push the boundaries of off-road exploration and gravel riding. Meanwhile, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 provides a versatile and confident ride feel, allowing riders to conquer any path with stability and daring, from rough trails to long-distance touring.
Chromoly Steel Frame: Offers durability and comfort, designed for rugged adventures and long-distance rides.
29-Inch Wheels: Allows for enhanced rolling capabilities and better obstacle clearance.
Wide Tire Clearance: Accommodates up to 3.0-inch tires, ensuring superior traction on challenging surfaces.
SRAM Apex 1 Drivetrain: Offers a wide range of gears suitable for climbing and fast descents in diverse terrains.
Boost Hub Spacing: Provides added stiffness and strength to the wheels for improved handling and performance.
Front Suspension Compatibility: Optimized to work with suspension forks, allowing riders to add front suspension for a more comfortable off-road experience.
Bag, Rack and Fender Mounting Points
The Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is well-equipped with a variety of mounting points to cater to all your bikepacking needs:
Triple Front Fork Mounts: There are triple mounts on both sides of the front fork for water bottles, cargo cages, or front racks.
Rear Rack Mounts: The rear of the bike has mounts for attaching a standard rear rack for panniers or other gear.
Triple Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has triple mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Under Downtube Mount: There’s a mount under the downtube, which is a common place to carry an extra water bottle or tool keg.
Fender Mounts: The bike has mounts for full coverage fenders, which are essential for wet weather bikepacking.
Salsa Fargo Apex 1 Featured in the Wild
Readers’ Rig: Brett’s Salsa Fargo Apex 1
In this review of the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 featured on Bikepacking.com, Brett’s custom-built Fargo is showcased as a versatile bikepacking rig ready for adventure. The article highlights the bike’s capabilities, stating, “The Salsa Fargo is all about the journey, the adventure.” Brett’s Fargo is equipped with triple bottle mounts on the fork, frame, and down tube, as well as top tube mounts, offering ample space for carrying water bottles and accessories. The bike’s ability to handle various terrains and its adaptability make it a top choice for bikepackers and tourers seeking a reliable companion for extended journeys. Read the full article and explore the Fargo’s potential as a go-to bikepacking rig for diverse adventures.
Salsa Fargo Apex 1 – An Adventure Seeker’s Dream
In this video review by “Riding Bicycles” on YouTube, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is hailed as an adventure seeker’s dream. The host praises its versatility, stating, “It’s just a great do-it-all bike.” The review showcases the bike’s features, including the drop handlebars, wide tire clearance, and multiple mounting points, which make it ideal for bikepacking, touring, and all-terrain exploration. The host further commends its smooth ride and confident handling on various surfaces, from pavement to rough trails.
In this informative video review by “Henry Merk” on YouTube, the Salsa Fargo Apex 1 is hailed as the ultimate adventure bike, perfectly suited for bikepacking and off-road exploration. The host emphasizes its versatility, stating, “The Fargo is designed for people that want to go places.” The review delves into the bike’s features, including its rugged chromoly steel frame, drop handlebars, and wide tire clearance, making it capable of conquering diverse terrains with ease. The host also praises its stability, smooth ride, and ample mounting points for gear.
The Salsa Fargo Apex 1 drivetrain relies on a SRAM Apex 1 rear derailleur, 11-speed SRAM PG-1130 cassette, and a Truvativ Stylo 6K DUB crankset. Stopping power is provided by TRP Spyre-C brakes. Comfort is prioritized with a Salsa Cowchipper handlebar and WTB Volt Steel SL Medium saddle. The bike rolls on Teravail Sparwood, tubeless-ready 29″ tires, mounted on WTB ST i25 TCS 2.0 rims.
- Frame: Fargo Triple-butted CroMoly Steel
- Fork: Firestarter Carbon 110
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM Apex 1
- Cassette: SRAM PG-1130, 11–42t, 11-speed
- Chain: SRAM PC-1110
- Crankset: Truvativ Stylo 6K DUB, 32t
- Shifter: SRAM Apex 1
- Brakes: TRP Spyre-C
- Rotors: 160 mm rotors
- Headset: Cane Creek 40
- Stem: Salsa Guide
- Handlebar: Salsa Cowchipper
- Grips / Bar Tape: Salsa Gel Cork Bar Tape
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide
- Saddle: WTB Volt Steel SL Medium
- Front Wheel: WTB Serra 15 x 110 mm hub, WTB ST i25 TCS 2.0 32h 29″ rim
- Rear Wheel: WTB Serra 12 x 148 mm hub, WTB ST i25 TCS 2.0 32h 29″ rim
- Tires: Teravail Sparwood 29 x 2.2″, Durable, Tubeless-Ready
The Salsa Fargo Apex 1 features a triple-butted CroMoly steel frame, providing a sturdy and reliable structure for rugged bikepacking adventures. This material choice offers a balance between durability and weight, making it an excellent choice for long-distance, off-road cycling. The frame also incorporates Salsa’s unique Alternator 1.5 dropouts, a versatile system that allows for a variety of drivetrain setups and is compatible with belt drives. This flexibility means you can customize your bike to suit your specific riding style and terrain. The welding on the frame is precise and robust, ensuring structural integrity even under the most challenging conditions. Lastly, the finish of the Fargo Apex 1 is professional and sleek, adding an aesthetic appeal to its functional design.
|A. Effective Top Tube
|B. Stand Over
|E. Total Seat Tube Length
|F. Headtube Length
|G. Headtube Angle
|H. Seat Tube Angle
|I. BB Drop
|K. Chainstay Length
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown
|M. Fork Offset
|Crank Arm Length
|Recommended Rider Height
Measurements based on:
- A Firestarter Deluxe Fork which is 480 x 51 mm offset, this is equivalent to an average 100mm fork at 20% sag.
- Measurements listed are based on a 29 x 2.4″ tire measuring 746 mm in diameter.
- Standover (P) for all sizes is measured vertically to top of toptube from a position 50mm forward of BB center.
Register your purchase at SalsaCycles.com.
SALSA CYCLES LIMITED WARRANTY
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase. NOTE: All warranty periods below apply to original owner only
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
UNDER THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa components
UNDER TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING:
- Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
- Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
- Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
- Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
- Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
- Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
- Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
- Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
- Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
- Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
- Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
- Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
- Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.