The Surly Straggler 700c has deep routes in the Surly tradition evolving as the disc version of iconic Surly Cross-Check. This bicycle embodies versatility, excelling as a light tourer, a reliable commuter, and even a cyclocross racer. It’s not just versatile; it’s audacious—bold, raw, untamed, and powerful, it’s the life of the party on two wheels. With color options like Chlorine Dream for the visionaries or black for the no-frills Surly attitude. Simply put, this is the Surly your mom warned you about, daring you to redefine your cycling style and break through whatever is holding you back.
If bikepacking is your jam, then the Surly Straggler is your concert ticket to the backcountry. Imagine loading up your bikepacking bags and conquering iconic gravel routes like the Oregon Outback or the Tour Divide. With its steel frame offering both durability and a smooth ride, this bike is a gravel muncher. Its versatility allows for an array of bikepacking setups, from minimalist to “kitchen sink included.” So, whether you’re a newbie or a seasoned bikepacker, the Straggler is ready for gravel escapades that’ll make even the most nonchalant mom say, “You’re doing what?”
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The geometry of the Surly Straggler 700c features a top tube that is designed to provide a comfortable reach, ensuring that riders don’t feel stretched out or cramped. The slack head tube angle contributes to a more stable ride, particularly useful when navigating uneven terrains or descending at high speeds. The bottom bracket is positioned to offer a low center of gravity, which enhances the bike’s stability and balance, especially during turns. The chainstays are of moderate length, striking a balance between agility and stability, allowing for responsive handling without sacrificing comfort.
Riding the Surly Straggler 700c feels like a harmonious blend of comfort and performance. Its balanced geometry ensures a ride that is both responsive and stable, making it an excellent choice for city commuting as well as light off-road adventures. The elongated wheelbase and consistent head tube angle contribute to a ride that is stable at high speeds yet agile enough for quick maneuvers. This makes the Straggler 700c a versatile choice for those who want a bike that can handle a variety of terrains and riding conditions.
- Reach and Stack: The Straggler’s reach spans from 396.3mm to 420.9mm, and the stack ranges from 549.2mm to 628.2mm. This combination ensures an ergonomic riding position, contrasting with some bikes that might lean towards a more aggressive stance.
- Head Tube Angle: The Straggler maintains a consistent head tube angle of 72.0° across most sizes. This angle strikes a balance between agility and stability, differentiating it from racing bikes that might have steeper angles for rapid maneuverability.
- BB Drop: The BB drop for the Straggler is consistently at 72.0mm across all sizes. This design choice ensures a stable center of gravity, enhancing the bike’s stability, especially during turns.
- Wheelbase: The Straggler’s wheelbase varies from 1016.5mm to 1071.8mm. A longer wheelbase like this offers enhanced stability, especially at higher speeds, distinguishing it from some aggressive road bikes with shorter wheelbases.
- Chainstay Length: The Straggler boasts a consistent chainstay length of 425.0mm to 430.0mm. This is slightly elongated compared to some performance-focused road bikes, emphasizing a stable ride.
- Top Tube Length: The actual and effective top tube lengths for the Straggler range from 563.3mm to 625.0mm. This design ensures riders have an optimal reach to the handlebars, contrasting with some bikes that might have elongated top tubes for a more aggressive posture.
- Seat Tube Angle: The Straggler’s seat tube angles vary from 72.0° to 73.0°. This range ensures an efficient pedaling position, setting it apart from some race-oriented bikes that might have steeper angles.
- Standover Height: The standover heights for the Straggler span from 791.7mm to 865.0mm. This range allows riders of varying heights to comfortably mount and dismount the bike, a crucial feature for varied terrains and conditions.
vs. the Surly Straggler 650b
The Surly Straggler, 650b with its 650b tires, is priced similarly to the Surly Straggler 700c. While both bikes have comparable frames, the main distinctions lie in their wheel and tire sizes as follows:
- Wheel Size:
- Surly Straggler 700c: Built around a 700c wheel size.
- Surly Straggler 650b: Designed with a 650b wheel size.
- Tire Clearance:
- Surly Straggler 700c: Can accommodate up to 700c x 42mm tires.
- Surly Straggler 650b: Allows for up to 650b x 42mm or 27.5 x 2.0″ tires.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Surly Knard 700c x 41mm, 33 tpi.
- Surly Straggler 650b: Surly Knard 650b x 41mm, 33 tpi or 27.5 x 2.0″.
vs. the Kona Libre
The Kona Libre is designed primarily as a gravel bike, emphasizing challenging climbs and adventurous off-road rides with its lightweight aluminum frame and carbon fork, making it adept at both competitive events and casual gravel rides. In contrast, the Surly Straggler 700c, with its steel frame, offers a versatile ride suitable for various terrains, from commuting to light touring and cyclocross. While the Libre leans towards performance and agility, especially on rough terrains, the Straggler 700c prioritizes adaptability and comfort, often coming in at a more affordable price point than high-end gravel bikes like the Libre.
- Drivetrain and Groupsets:
- Kona Libre: Equipped with SRAM Apex components, known for their reliability in shifting and overall performance.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Features SRAM Apex 1×11 components, ensuring consistent shifting and a wide gear range.
- Frame Material:
- Kona Libre: Made from Kona 6061 Aluminum Butted, which is lightweight and designed for agility.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Constructed from 100% Surly proprietary 4130 CroMoly tubing, known for its durability and comfort.
- Kona Libre: Features a Kona Libre Carbon fork, which is light and offers vibration damping for rough terrains.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Uses a 4130 CroMoly fork, which is sturdy and offers a balanced ride.
- Kona Libre: Comes with Maxxis Rambler Silkshield TR 700x45c, designed for grip and durability on gravel roads.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Equipped with Surly Knard 700c x 41mm, versatile for both city streets and light off-road conditions.
- Ride Feel:
- Kona Libre: Designed for gravel and off-road adventures, it emphasizes agility, especially on challenging terrains and climbs.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Offers a versatile ride suitable for various terrains, from city commuting to light touring and cyclocross, prioritizing adaptability and comfort.
- Kona Libre: Its geometry leans towards performance-oriented gravel bikes, ensuring quick handling and responsiveness, especially on off-road terrains.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Features a more relaxed geometry that’s tailored for diverse terrains and adaptable road conditions, ensuring a balance between stability and agility.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C
The Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C is tailored for long-distance touring and exploration, with its geometry promoting a comfortable and upright riding position, ensuring reduced fatigue on extended rides. Its components, like the Tektro MD-C550 brakes, are chosen for reliability over prolonged journeys. In contrast, the Surly Straggler 700c offers a versatile ride suitable for a mix of terrains, from urban commuting to light touring, with its steel frame providing a balance of comfort and durability. While both bikes prioritize adaptability, the Journeyer leans more towards endurance touring, whereas the Straggler emphasizes general versatility, often at a relatively lower cost.
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Features the Journeyer Drop-Bar Thru-Axle frame, designed for long-distance touring and exploration.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Constructed from 100% Surly proprietary 4130 CroMoly tubing, known for its durability and adaptability across terrains.
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Uses the Waxwing fork, tailored for comfort on extended rides.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Equipped with a 4130 CroMoly fork, offering a balanced and versatile ride.
- Drivetrain and Groupsets:
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Features SRAM Apex 1 components, ensuring reliable shifting and a wide gear range suitable for touring.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Comes with SRAM Apex 1×11 components, offering consistent shifting across various terrains.
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Equipped with Tektro MD-C550 brakes, chosen for their reliability on long rides.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Features SRAM Avid BB7 Road brakes, ensuring consistent stopping power across terrains.
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Comes with Teravail Washburn tires, 700c x 38 mm, designed for durability and grip on long tours.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Equipped with Surly Knard 700c x 41mm, versatile for both city and off-road conditions.
- Ride Feel:
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Designed primarily for long-distance touring, it emphasizes comfort and endurance, ensuring reduced fatigue on prolonged journeys.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Offers a versatile ride suitable for diverse terrains, from city streets to light touring and cyclocross, prioritizing adaptability and comfort.
- Salsa Journeyer Apex 1 700C: Its geometry is tailored for extended touring, promoting an upright and comfortable riding position.
- Surly Straggler 700c: Features a more versatile geometry that’s adaptable to various road conditions, ensuring a balance between stability and agility.
Versatile Geometry: The Surly Straggler 700c offers a unique blend of reach, stack, and head tube angle, making it suitable for both city commuting and light off-road adventures.
SRAM Apex 1×11 Drivetrain: The bike features a high-quality SRAM Apex 1×11 drivetrain, offering smooth shifting and reliable performance, which is not always guaranteed in bikes within this price range.
Disc Brakes: Equipped with SRAM Avid BB7 Road disc brakes, the Straggler 700c offers consistent and reliable stopping power, a feature that stands out among bikes in its price category.
Bag, Rack and Fender Mounting Points
The Surly Straggler 700c is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Front Fork Mounts: There are multiple mounts on both sides of the front fork for water bottles, cargo cages, or front racks. (upper, lower, and mid-blade threaded)
Rear Rack Mounts: The rear of the bike has mounts for attaching a standard rear rack for panniers or other gear. (upper and lower threaded)
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Fender Mounts: The bike has mounts for full coverage fenders, which are essential for wet weather riding.
Surly Straggler 700c Featured in the Wild
The Surly Straggler, as highlighted by road.cc, stands as a stalwart in the realm of all-rounder and gravel bikes, boasting a steel frame that’s both rugged and versatile. Surly describes the Straggler as a bike that’s predominantly at ease on pavement but is equally prepared for trail adventures. The bike’s design leans towards a “rough road” bike, versatile enough for cyclocross without the racing pretense, urban commuting, light-duty touring, and all-weather commuting. Steve Worland, in an earlier review, aptly remarked, “Surly’s Straggler is a sturdily built and eminently adaptable steel all-rounder… It has a strong bias towards rough roads and trail use, but weight-weenies should look away now.” The Straggler’s unique frame shape, combined with its capability for various terrains, sets it apart in the cycling world.
In this comprehensive review by Mulk’s Bikes, the 2020 Surly Straggler 700c is put under the microscope, showcasing its various features and modifications. Opting for a complete build, the reviewer praises the bike’s immediate rideability and its multifunctional front rack, which has carried everything from pizzas to propane tanks. “I’ve hauled pizzas, cases of beer, huge bags… it saved the picnic,” he notes. The bike’s durability in winter conditions and its versatility for both solo and trailer-towing rides also receive special mention.
The Surly Straggler 700c drivetrain features a SRAM Apex 1×11 setup, ensuring smooth shifting across terrains. The braking system is anchored by SRAM Avid BB7 Road brakes with 160mm rotors both front and rear. The bike features a Cane Creek 40 headset and the drivetrain is streamlined with a SRAM Apex 1×11 setup, including a 42t crankset and an 11–42t SunRace cassette. The handlebar is a Salsa Cowbell, and the saddle is a Sellle Italia Base-X. The wheels are tubeless-ready Alex Adventurer 2 rims, fitted with Surly Knard 700c x 41mm tires.
- Frame: 100% Surly Chromoly tubing. E.D. Coated. TIG-welded. Double-butted main triangle.
- Fork: 100% Surly Chromoly steel. Disc only, lugged and brazed. Sloping crown with threaded eylets, tapered and butted curved blades with mid-blade rack eyelets, dual dropout eyelets.
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM Apex 1×11
- Cassette: SunRace CSMS7, 11–42t, 11-speed
- Chain: CNP1110
- Crankset: SRAM FC Apex 42t
- Shifter: SRAM Apex 1×11
- Brakes: SRAM Avid BB7 Road, 160mm rotors front & rear
- Rotors: 160mm rotors front & rear
- Headset: Cane Creek 40,1-1/8″
- Stem: 31.8, 4-bolt
- Handlebar: Salsa Cowbell
- Grips / Bar Tape: Black Cork
- Seatpost: Promax SP-2016 offset on 54-64cm frames, 27.2 x 350mm
- Saddle: Selle Italia Base-X
- Seatclamp: Surly Stainless, 30.0mm
- Front Wheel: Novatec, 6 bolt Disc, 32H, Alex Adventurer 2, tubeless ready
- Rear Wheel: Novatec, 6 bolt Disc, 32H, Alex Adventurer 2, tubeless ready
- Tires: Surly Knard 700c x 41mm, 33 tpi & 650b x 41mm, 33 tpi
* Specifications are subject to change without notice
The Surly Straggler 700c features a frame constructed from 4130 Chromoly Natch tubing, with a double-butted main triangle that is TIG welded for durability. The fork is also made from 4130 Chromoly and includes double-butted tapered fork blades, brazed lugs, and an ED coating. The bike employs a forward-exiting horizontal rear dropout system, with rear and front hub spacing at 10 x 135mm and 10 x 100mm, respectively. Both front and rear brakes are disc type with 51mm I.S. and a maximum rotor size of 160mm. The bike offers ample tire clearance, accommodating up to 700c x 42mm or 650b x 42mm tires.
|Head Tube Angle||72.0°||72.0°||72.0°||72.0°||72.0°|
|Head Tube Length||107.0||121.0||146.0||165.0||185.0|
|Seat Tube Length||540.0||560.0||580.0||600.0||620.0|
|Top Tube Length, Actual||563.3||579.7||593.2||608.0||623.0|
|Top Tube Length, Effective||565.0||580.0||595.0||610.0||625.0|
|Seat Tube Angle||73.0°||72.5°||72.5°||72.0°||72.0°|
Register your purchase at Surly’s Warranty Registration.
LIMITED WARRANTY FOR THE SURLY STRAGGLER 700C
This Surly product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for three years from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
This warranty does NOT cover the following:
- Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assembler
- Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
- Installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with bicycle as sold
- Damage or deterioration to the paint, surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product
- Normal wear and tear
- Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Surly, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Surly product and is not transferrable. This warranty applies only to products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Surly be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein.
This limited warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This limited warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.