Embark on the journey of a lifetime with the Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c. Imagine a steed that effortlessly glides over gravel, dances through town, and beckons you to the call of bikepacking. Built upon a resilient aluminum frame and Salsa’s signature carbon Waxwing fork, this bike promises both comfort and unwavering confidence. Its 700c x 38 mm wheels are the perfect marriage of speed and grip, reminiscent of a well-worn hiking boot on a mountain trail. And with Shimano’s elite GRX 810 components at your fingertips, every click of the shifter is poetry in motion. Let the Journeyer be your compass, guiding you through the chapters of your cycling story.
And speaking of bikepacking, the Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c is itching to fulfill your bicycle travel destiny. Imagine the whisper of the desert wind or the symphony of woodland creatures as you set camp. With the Journeyer, loading up your bikepacking bags becomes a prelude to the adventure, not a chore. Whether you’re seeking solace in the desert’s embrace or the woods’ comforting canopy, this bicycle ensures your journey is as memorable as the destination. The call of the wild beckons; are you ready to answer?
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c features a geometry specifically tailored for long-distance touring and gravel escapades. Its longer wheelbase and slacker head angle offer unparalleled stability, especially on unpredictable terrains and steep descents. The bike also features a higher stack height, providing a more upright and comfortable riding position that reduces fatigue on extended journeys. Additionally, the effective seat angle is calibrated for optimal pedaling efficiency, ensuring that every stroke of the pedal translates into forward momentum.
Riding the Journeyer GRX 810, 700c feels like a harmonious blend of comfort and adventure readiness. Its geometry ensures a stable and confident ride, particularly on gravel and mixed surfaces. The combination of the aluminum frame with the Waxwing carbon fork provides a balanced feel, absorbing road vibrations while maintaining responsiveness. The higher stack height allows for a more relaxed, upright posture, making long-distance touring less physically taxing.
- Effective Top Tube: The Journeyer offers varying lengths from 520mm for the 52cm size to 600mm for the 60cm size. This ensures riders of different sizes have a comfortable reach to the handlebars.
- Stand Over: The standover height ranges from 700.44mm in the 52cm size to 874.22mm in the 60cm size, accommodating a broad spectrum of rider heights.
- Reach: Reach measurements vary, starting from 357.77mm for the 52cm size to 406.36mm for the 60cm size, ensuring a comfortable and ergonomic riding position across various sizes.
- Stack: The stack measurements provide a balance between an aggressive and upright stance, ranging from 584.98mm in the 52cm size to 664.34mm in the 60cm size.
- Head Tube Angle: The consistent head tube angle of 69° across all sizes ensures stability on descents and a balanced steering response.
- Seat Tube Angle: The seat tube angles vary slightly across sizes, ranging from 74.5° to 73.75°. This variation ensures an optimal pedaling position and balance of comfort and efficiency.
- BB Drop: The Journeyer maintains a consistent BB drop of 70mm across all sizes, ensuring a low center of gravity and stability during turns and descents.
- Chainstay Length: The bike features a consistent chainstay length of 445mm across all sizes, emphasizing stability and predictable handling.
- Fork Length and Offset: The Journeyer is designed with a rigid fork length of 483mm and a fork offset of 51mm, ensuring stability and a balanced steering response.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer GRX 600, 700c
The Salsa Journeyer GRX 600, with its Shimano GRX RX600 drivetrain, is a more economical version of the Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c. While both bikes share the same frame, the primary differences lie in the componentry as follows:
- GRX 600: Equipped with Shimano GRX RX600 components.
- GRX 810: Features the higher-end Shimano GRX RX810 components, offering smoother and more precise shifting.
- Front Derailleur:
- GRX 600: Comes with Shimano GRX RX810.
- GRX 810: Does not have a front derailleur (N/A).
- Rear Derailleur:
- GRX 600: Uses Shimano GRX RX810.
- GRX 810: Also uses Shimano GRX RX812.
- GRX 600: Shimano HG700, 11–34t, 11-speed.
- GRX 810: Shimano M7000 11–42t, 11-speed.
- GRX 600: Shimano GRX RX600, 46/30t.
- GRX 810: Shimano GRX RX810, 40t on sizes 53 cm + (Shimano GRX RX600, 40t, 165mm arms on sizes 49 and 51 cm).
- Brakes and Rotors:
- GRX 600: Shimano GRX RX400 brakes, Shimano RT10 rotors (Center Lock, 160 mm).
- GRX 810: Shimano GRX RX810 brakes, Shimano RT10 rotors (Center Lock, 160 mm).
- Ride Feel:
- GRX 600: Provides a versatile ride suitable for varied terrains due to its gearing range.
- GRX 810: Offers a performance-oriented ride with smoother and more precise shifting due to its premium components.
vs. the Salsa Vaya GRX 600
The Salsa Vaya GRX 600 is designed primarily as a touring bike, emphasizing comfort and stability for long-distance rides, especially on mixed terrains. Its Triple-butted CroMoly Steel frame offers a more compliant ride, absorbing road vibrations. In contrast, the Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c, with its higher-end GRX RX810 components, leans more towards performance-oriented gravel riding, offering smoother and more precise shifting. While both bikes cater to adventure riders, the Journeyer’s premium components reflect a higher relative cost compared to the Vaya.
- Vaya GRX 600: Equipped with Shimano RX810 components, tailored for touring and long-distance cycling.
- Journeyer GRX 810: Features the higher-end Shimano GRX RX810 components, offering smoother and more precise shifting for gravel riding
- Vaya GRX 600: Shimano RX600, 46/30t or Easton EA90 46/30, offering a broader range for varied terrains.
- Journeyer GRX 810: Shimano GRX RX810, 40t on sizes 53 cm+ (Shimano GRX RX600, 40t, 165mm arms on sizes 49 and 51 cm), tailored for gravel terrains.
- Brakes and Rotors:
- Vaya GRX 600: TRP Spyre-C brakes with 160 mm rotors, ensuring reliable stopping power on descents and wet conditions.
- Journeyer GRX 810: Shimano GRX RX810 brakes, Shimano RT10 rotors (Center Lock, 160 mm), offering precise braking performance.
- Ride Feel:
- Vaya GRX 600: Prioritizes comfort and stability, especially for extended rides on mixed terrains.
- Journeyer GRX 810: Leans towards performance-oriented gravel riding, with a responsive and agile feel.
- Vaya GRX 600: Touring-oriented geometry, ensuring a relaxed and upright riding position for reduced fatigue on long journeys.
- Journeyer GRX 810: Gravel-oriented geometry, providing a balance between aggressive and relaxed stances, suitable for both long-distance rides and short commutes.
vs. the Salsa Warbird C GRX 600
The Salsa Warbird C GRX 600 is a performance-driven gravel racing bike, built with a lightweight carbon frame that offers rapid acceleration and nimble handling, especially on challenging terrains. Its geometry is tailored for aggressive, competitive riding. In contrast, the Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c, while also designed for gravel, leans more towards versatility and comfort on mixed terrains. The Journeyer’s components, particularly the higher-end GRX RX810 groupset, reflect a more premium positioning relative to the Warbird.
Versatile Geometry: The Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c is designed with a geometry that’s optimized for both on-road and off-road cycling. This flexibility in design allows it to cater to a wide range of riders, making it a unique choice in its price bracket.
High-quality Drivetrain: The bike is fitted with Shimano’s GRX RX812 components, ensuring seamless gear changes and long-lasting performance. This high-quality drivetrain sets it apart from other bikes that may compromise on component quality.
Integrated Cable Routing: This model stands out for its internal cable routing system, which not only enhances the bike’s visual appeal but also reduces the chance of cable wear and tear, providing a minor aerodynamic benefit.
Bag, Rack and Fender Mounting Points
The Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Front Fork Mounts: There are multiple mounts on both sides of the front fork for water bottles, cargo cages, or front racks.
Front Rack Mounts: Lowrider compatible. Salsa Down Under rack recommended.
Rear Rack Mounts: The bike’s rear is equipped with mounting points for a standard rear rack, suitable for panniers or additional equipment.
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Under Downtube Mount: There’s a mount under the down tube for attaching additional gear.
Fender Mounts: These mounts are strategically placed for installing fenders, offering added protection against mud and water spray.
Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c Featured in the Wild
The Salsa Journeyer GRX 700c is highlighted as a versatile gravel bike, adept at handling everything from smooth asphalt to challenging singletrack. Its standout white color, despite being prone to showing dirt, has proven resilient even after rigorous rides. The bike’s construction boasts an aluminum frame, carbon fiber fork, and a mix of Shimano GRX components. Its geometry leans towards stability, making it ideal for longer rides where comfort is paramount. As Tim Peck mentions, “The most impressive quality of the Journeyer is its versatility and ability to fulfill the needs of a number of different types of riding.” The bike’s adaptability, combined with its cargo capacity, makes it a top choice for various gravel adventures.
The Salsa Journeyer GRX 810, 700c drivetrain is composed of a Shimano GRX RX812 rear derailleur and an 11-speed Shimano M7000 cassette with a range of 11–42t. The bike employs Shimano GRX RX810 brakes paired with Shimano RT10 rotors for reliable stopping power. For rider comfort, it features a Salsa Cowbell 3 handlebar and a WTB Volt Medium saddle. The wheelset, equipped with Shimano Tiagra hubs and WTB EZR i23 rims, is wrapped in Teravail Washburn tubeless-ready tires.
- Frame: Journeyer Drop-Bar Thru-Axle Aluminium
- Fork: Waxwing Carbon
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano GRX RX812
- Cassette: Shimano M7000 11–42t, 11-speed
- Chain: Shimano HG601
- Crankset: Shimano GRX RX810, 40t on sizes 53 cm + (Shimano GRX RX600, 40t, 165mm arms on sizes 49 and 51 cm)
- Shifter: Shimano GRX RX810-R/LA
- Brakes: Shimano GRX RX810 brakes
- Rotors: Shimano RT10 rotors (Center Lock, 160 mm)
- Headset: FSA NO.42 ACB IS-2
- Stem: Salsa Guide 31.8, 6-degree
- Handlebar: Salsa Cowbell 3, 31.8
- Grips / Bar Tape: Black Cork
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide, 27.2 x 350 mm
- Saddle: WTB Volt Steel Medium, 142 x 265 mm
- Front Wheel: Shimano Tiagra RS470 12 x 100 mm hub, WTB EZR i23 28h 700c rim
- Rear Wheel: Shimano Tiagra RS470 12 x 142 mm hub, WTB EZR i23 28h 700c rim
- Tires: Teravail Washburn, 700c x 38 mm, 60 tpi, Durable casing, tubeless ready
The Salsa Journeyer GRX 810 features a frame constructed from robust 6061-T6 Aluminium alloy tubing, which is heat-treated for extra strength and durability and is complemented by a Waxwing Carbon fork. This design integrates a Press Fit BB68 bottom bracket with dimensions of 41 x 92 mm and supports a 27.2 mm seatpost. For enhanced stability and accurate alignment, the bike uses a rear spacing of 142 x 12 mm Thru-axle, paired with a Ø12 x 169 rear axle size. Additionally, the frame is designed with a front spacing of 100 x 15 mm Thru-axle, utilizing an M12 x 120 mm thru-axle. The frame also features the SRAM UDH derailleur hanger and is compatible with internal dropper post routing.
|A. Effective Top Tube||493||510||530||550||570||600|
|B. Stand Over||613.5||648.5||684.5||720.5||756.5||803.5|
|E. Total Seat Tube Length||340||380||410||450||490||520|
|F. Headtube Length||90||105||130||150||180||210|
|G. Headtube Angle||68.5||69.5||69.5||69.5||69.5||69.5|
|H. Seat Tube Angle||76||75||74||73||73||73|
|I. BB Drop||70||70||70||70||70||70|
|K. Chainstay Length||440||440||440||440||440||440|
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown||402||402||402||402||402||402|
|M. Fork Offset||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|Crank Arm Length||165||165||170||172.5||175||175|
|Recommended Rider Height||142 – 152cm||150 – 160cm||157 – 170cm||165 – 178cm||173 – 185cm||183 – 196cm|
Measurements based on:
- a fork measuring 405mm with 50mm offset
- a 700 x 38mm tire measuring 706 mm in diameter
- Stand over measured vertically to top of top tube from a position 50mm forward of BB center
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.