In the heart of every journey lies the spirit of adventure, and the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B is your trusted companion. Crafted with an aluminum frame and a Fantail fork, this bike embodies the essence of gravel riding. Picture yourself cruising with ease, thanks to its ergonomic flat handlebar that offers both control and a relaxed posture. Envision the open road, your essentials securely stowed in its versatile cargo mounts. With 650b x 47mm wheels, you’re promised a ride that’s both cushioned and confident. And with the reliable MicroSHIFT Acolyte 1 x 8 drivetrain, every pedal stroke propels you towards new horizons. Whether you’re exploring untrodden gravel paths or navigating the urban wastelands, this bike is your ticket to freedom.
As the embers of a campfire dance into the night, there’s no better way to recount the day’s adventures than with friends by your side and the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B parked nearby. This bicycle is your passport to gravel-road oriented bikepacking routes, like the scenic backroads of the American West or the undulating trails of the Appalachians. Its design effortlessly bridges the gap between rugged terrains and the serenity of nature, allowing you to reconnect, rejuvenate, and relish the wild. So, gather your buds, and let the Journeyer lead you to bike camping epics.
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B design emphasizes an all-around gravel geometry, ensuring riders experience both comfort and confidence across varied terrains. The effective top tube length is precisely adjusted for different rider heights, guaranteeing a perfect fit. Moreover, the bike maintains consistent headtube and seat tube angles across all sizes, ensuring a predictable and uniform ride, particularly during downhill stretches. The equilibrium between the BB drop and chainstay length seamlessly blends stability with nimbleness, making it a versatile choice for diverse trails.
Riding the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B is an experience that effortlessly marries comfort with adventure. As soon as you mount the bike, its specialized geometry cradles you in a posture that feels both relaxed and ready for action. The Teravail Washburn tires glide seamlessly over terrains, making rough patches feel like smooth tarmac and turning challenging trails into thrilling escapades. This bike’s design strikes a balance between responsiveness and steadiness, making every ride feel both controlled and adventurous.
- Effective Top Tube: With effective top tube lengths ranging from 550mm to 650mm, the Journeyer ensures riders of all sizes can find a comfortable fit, distinguishing it from bikes that might have a more uniform top tube length.
- Stand Over Height: With stand over heights ranging from 613.5mm to 756.5mm, the Journeyer ensures that riders have adequate clearance, setting it apart from bikes that might have limited stand over variations.
- Reach and Stack: With reach values ranging from 393mm to 450mm and stack values from 514mm to 655mm, the Journeyer provides a balance between the rider’s forward position and the height of the handlebars, differentiating it from bikes with more aggressive or relaxed geometries.
- Headtube Length and Angle: With headtube lengths ranging from 90mm to 240mm and a consistent headtube angle of 69.5° across all sizes, the Journeyer ensures a predictable and controlled ride, especially during descents, compared to bikes with steeper or slacker angles.
- Seat Tube Angle: With a consistent seat tube angle of 73° across all sizes, the Journeyer offers a comfortable seating position, distinguishing it from bikes that might have steeper angles for aggressive racing or slacker angles for relaxed cruising.
- BB Drop: With a consistent BB drop of 70mm across all sizes, the Journeyer ensures a low center of gravity for stability, setting it apart from bikes with higher or lower BB drops that might prioritize pedal clearance or stability.
- Chainstay Length: With a consistent chainstay length of 440mm across all sizes, the Journeyer offers a mix of stability and agility, differentiating it from bikes with shorter chainstays for agility or longer ones for stability.
- Fork Length Axle to Crown: With a consistent fork length axle to crown of 402mm across all sizes, the Journeyer ensures a balanced front-end feel, different from bikes with longer forks that might prioritize shock absorption.
- Wheelbase: With wheelbases ranging from 1047mm to 1156mm, the Journeyer ensures stability during rides, distinguishing it from bikes with shorter wheelbases for agility or longer ones for stability.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 650B
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 650B, equipped with microSHIFT Acolyte 1 x 8 drivetrain, is a more economical version of the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B. While both bikes share the same frame, the primary differences lie in the componentry as follows:
- Rear Derailleur:
- Deore 650B: Shimano Deore M5120 SGS, 10/11-speed
- Acolyte 650B: microSHIFT Acolyte M5185
- Deore 650B: Shimano Deore M4100, 11–46t, 10-speed
- Acolyte 650B: microSHIFT H083, 12–42t, 8-speed
- Deore 650B: Shimano HG54
- Acolyte 650B: KMC X8
- Deore 650B: Omega MegaExo 40t, FSA Road MegaExo bottom bracket
- Acolyte 650B: FSA Vero Pro 40t, FSA 7240S bottom bracket
- Deore 650B: Shimano Deore M4100
- Acolyte 650B: microSHIFT Acolyte M7180
- Brakes and Rotors:
- Deore 650B: Tektro HD-R280, TR-160-22 (6-bolt, 160 mm)
- Acolyte 650B: Tektro MD-U310 with RS360A lever, Tektro TR160-29 (160 mm)
- Front Wheel:
- Deore 650B: WTB Serra 12 x 100 mm TA hub, WTB ST i23 650b rim, 28h
- Acolyte 650B: Novatec D761DSE 9 x 100 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 650b rim, 32h
- Rear Wheel:
- Deore 650B: WTB Serra 10 x 135 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 650b rim, 28h
- Acolyte 650B: Novatec D762TSE 10 x 135 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 650b rim, 32h
vs. the Surly Preamble Flat Bar
The Surly Preamble Flat Bar, constructed with 100% Chromoly steel tubing, offers a sturdy and resilient ride, ideal for urban commuting and light trail use. Its mechanical Avid BB5 brakes and microSHIFT Acolyte drivetrain lean towards simplicity and reliability. In contrast, the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B, equipped with Shimano Deore components and Tektro HD-R280 hydraulic brakes, provides a more responsive and smooth gear transition, making it better suited for diverse terrains and longer rides. While both bikes prioritize durability, the Journeyer is positioned as a more premium choice in terms of componentry and versatility.
- Frame and Fork:
- Preamble: 100% Chromoly steel tubing frame and fork, known for its durability and classic ride feel.
- Journeyer: Journeyer Flat-Bar Quick-Release frame with a Fantail Deluxe fork, offering a blend of comfort and versatility.
- Drivetrain and Groupsets:
- Preamble: Features microSHIFT Acolyte Xpress shifters and microSHIFT RD-M5185M rear derailleur, aiming for simplicity and reliability.
- Journeyer: Equipped with Shimano Deore M4100 shifter and Shimano Deore M5120 SGS rear derailleur, offering smoother transitions and a wider gear range.
- Preamble: Avid BB5 Mechanical brakes, providing consistent stopping power with easy maintenance.
- Journeyer: Tektro HD-R280 hydraulic brakes, ensuring more responsive and efficient braking, especially in wet conditions.
- Preamble: Kenda Kwik Tendril 700c x 35mm (for MD/LG/XL sizes) & Kenda Standard 650b x 1.35 (for XS/SM sizes), suitable for city roads and light trails.
- Journeyer: Teravail Washburn 650b x 47 mm, offering better grip and cushioning for diverse terrains.
- Ride Feel:
- Preamble: Sturdy and resilient, ideal for urban commuting and light trail use.
- Journeyer: More versatile, designed for diverse terrains and longer rides, with a geometry that balances comfort and performance.
- Preamble: Traditional geometry tailored for a mix of urban and light off-road use, promoting an upright and comfortable posture.
- Journeyer: Unique geometry designed for gravel and mixed-terrain adventures, with varying effective top tube lengths across sizes for an optimal fit.
vs. the Surly Bridge Club, 700c
The Surly Bridge Club, 700c, is designed as a versatile all-road touring bike, featuring a robust Surly Bridge Club frame and fork, and rolling on larger 700c wheels, making it adept for both paved roads and rugged trails. Its Shimano Deore 11-speed drivetrain offers a broad gear range suitable for varied terrains. In contrast, the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B, with its specialized gravel geometry and 650B wheel size, provides a more nimble and responsive ride, especially on mixed terrains. While both bikes emphasize adaptability, the Journeyer leans more towards premium componentry and nuanced gravel performance.
- Frame and Fork:
- Bridge Club: Features the Surly Bridge Club frame and fork, known for its robustness and adaptability across terrains.
- Journeyer: Journeyer Flat-Bar Quick-Release frame paired with a Fantail Deluxe fork, emphasizing comfort and versatility on gravel roads.
- Wheel Size:
- Bridge Club: Larger 700c wheels, suitable for both paved roads and rugged trails.
- Journeyer: 650B wheel size, offering a more nimble and responsive ride on mixed terrains.
- Drivetrain and Groupsets:
- Bridge Club: Equipped with Shimano Deore 11-speed drivetrain, providing a broad gear range for diverse terrains.
- Journeyer: Features Shimano Deore M4100 shifter and Shimano Deore M5120 SGS rear derailleur, ensuring smoother gear transitions.
- Bridge Club: Tektro Hydro HD-M275/276 brakes, offering consistent and reliable stopping power.
- Journeyer: Tektro HD-R280 hydraulic brakes, ensuring more responsive braking, especially in varied conditions.
- Bridge Club: WTB Trail Boss 27.5 x 2.4″, designed for traction and durability across a range of surfaces.
- Journeyer: Teravail Washburn 650b x 47 mm, offering a blend of grip and cushioning for diverse terrains.
- Ride Feel:
- Bridge Club: Versatile all-road touring feel, capable of handling both city commutes and off-road adventures.
- Journeyer: Tailored for gravel and mixed-terrain rides, balancing between comfort and performance.
- Bridge Club: All-road touring geometry, promoting a comfortable and upright posture suitable for long rides.
- Journeyer: Gravel-specific geometry with varying effective top tube lengths across sizes, ensuring an optimal fit and nuanced performance on gravel roads.
Versatile Geometry: The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B boasts a geometry meticulously tailored for mixed terrains, from smooth gravel paths to challenging off-road trails. Its unique design ensures riders of different sizes find an optimal fit, balancing comfort and performance.
Efficient Drivetrain: Armed with Shimano’s Deore components, the bike features Shimano Deore M4100 shifters and a Shimano Deore M5120 rear derailleur. This combination ensures precise gear transitions, reliable performance, and enduring durability.
Internal Cable Routing: This feature ensures a cleaner look and reduces the chances of cables getting caught or damaged, enhancing the bike’s longevity. By routing cables internally, the bike also benefits from improved aerodynamics, which can lead to slightly better performance.
Bag, Rack and Fender Mounting Points
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Top Tube Bag Mounts: The top tube features mounts that can accommodate a toptube bag, providing easy access to essentials during a ride.
Front Fork Mounts: There are multiple mounts on both sides of the front fork for water bottles, cargo cages, or front racks.
Rear Rack Mounts: The rear of the bike has mounts for attaching a standard rear rack for panniers or other gear.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Fender Mounts: The bike has mounts for full coverage fenders, which are essential for wet weather riding.
Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650b Featured in the Wild
The 2022 Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650b is the successor to the Salsa Journeyman. After taking the bike for an extended ride, the reviewer shared their initial impressions, highlighting the bike’s components and overall geometry. Some of the components, like the pedals and bar grips, are set to be replaced for personal preference. The reviewer noted the fork’s stiffness, suggesting softer tire pressure for comfort on rough terrains. The bike’s weight is deemed acceptable, and its posture leans slightly forward, giving it a mild road bike feel. The author states, “The posture is a bit more forward than I would have imagined, giving some mild road bike vibes.”
The Salsa Journeyer, as reviewed by Jordan Grimes on Bikexchange, is a reimagined version of the beloved Salsa Journeyman. This all-road bike has been revamped to be even more versatile and adept. The Journeyer boasts an updated frameset, geometry, and the addition of features like thru-axles, a carbon fiber fork option, and internal routing for dropper posts. Salsa has also responded to feedback by adopting a more inclusive name while retaining the bike’s adventurous essence. Grimes notes, “The overall ride feel is one of comfort and stability on varied terrain.” However, he also points out that while the Journeyer offers a plethora of features, its price might be a tad higher compared to similar bikes in the market.
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B drivetrain has Shimano Deore components, including a 10-speed M4100 cassette and M5120 SGS rear derailleur. Reliable stopping power is provided by Tektro HD-R280 brakes. For optimal rider comfort, it features a Salsa Salt Flat handlebar, WTB Volt Medium saddle, and Salsa File Tread grips. The wheelset, comprising WTB Serra hubs and ST i23 650b rims, is wrapped in Teravail Washburn 650b x 47 mm tires.
- Frame: Journeyer Flat-Bar Quick-Release
- Fork: Fantail Deluxe
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore M5120 SGS, 10/11-speed
- Cassette: Shimano Deore M4100, 11–46t, 10-speed
- Chain: Shimano HG54
- Crankset: Omega MegaExo 40t, FSA Road MegaExo bottom bracket
- Shifter: Shimano Deore M4100
- Brakes: Tektro HD-R280
- Rotors: TR-160-22 (6-bolt, 160 mm)
- Headset: FSA NO.42 ACB IS-2
- Stem: Salsa Guide 31.8, 6-degree
- Handlebar: Salsa Salt Flat 31.8, 700 mm
- Grips/Bar Tape: Salsa File Tread
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide 27.2 x 350 mm, 12 mm offset
- Saddle: WTB Volt Medium, Steel, 142 x 265 mm
- Front Wheel: WTB Serra 12 x 100 mm TA hub, WTB ST i23 650b rim, 28h
- Rear Wheel: WTB Serra 10 x 135 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 650b rim, 28h
- Tires: Teravail Washburn 650b x 47 mm, 30 tpi, Wire Bead
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 650B frame is crafted from high-quality materials, ensuring both durability and a comfortable ride. The frame employs a quick-release dropout system, providing ease of wheel removal and installation. Its welding technique ensures a seamless and robust connection between the frame’s joints, enhancing the bike’s overall strength and longevity. The frame’s design is complemented by the Fantail Deluxe fork, which is constructed to provide optimal stability and responsiveness during rides.
|A. Effective Top Tube||550||570||600||625||650|
|B. Stand Over||606||641||677||713||749||796|
|E. Total Seat Tube Length||340||380||450||490||530|
|F. Headtube Length||90||120||160||200||240|
|G. Headtube Angle||69.5||69.5||69.5||69.5||69.5|
|H. Seat Tube Angle||73||73||73||73||73|
|I. BB Drop||70||70||70||70||70|
|K. Chainstay Length||440||440||440||440||440|
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown||402||402||402||402||402|
|M. Fork Offset||50||50||50||50||50|
|Crank Arm Length||165||170||170||172.5||175|
|Recommended Rider Height||142 – 155cm||152 – 165cm||163 – 175cm||173 – 185cm||183 – 196cm|
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.