A path less traveled lies ahead, and the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C is ready to carry you along your way. Painted a mesmerizing sky blue, this bike isn’t just a visual treat; it’s a symphony of high-quality craftsmanship at a value price. As a flat-bar, 700c gravel bike, it promises both agility and stability. Dive deeper, and you’ll find a seamless blending of technical prowess with everyday functionality. Whether you’re a seasoned cyclist or just starting out, let this bike guide you to new horizons. Ready for the journey?
In the humdrum of your daily life, are you gazing out the window, yearning to get away? Bike camping offers that path less traveled, a bridge between our urban existence and reconnecting with nature and ourselves. And the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C can be your ticket out there. As you think of adding bicycle travel to your repertoire, know that this bike is not just easy-going; it’s a breeze to load up for those spontaneous camping nights. So, why wait? Let the Journeyer be your inspiration to discovering the hidden gems out your front door.
Geometry & Ride Characteristics
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C emphasizes a flat-bar configuration, fostering an upright riding posture, perfect for prolonged treks across a myriad of terrains. The effective top tube length is made to accommodate riders of various statures, ensuring a snug fit. Moreover, the uniform headtube and seat tube angles across all sizes guarantee a consistent and controlled ride, particularly during downhill runs. The equilibrium struck between the BB drop and chainstay length strikes a balance between stability and nimbleness, positioning the Journeyer as a multifaceted option for numerous escapades.
Mounting the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C feels like setting forth on a boundless adventure. Its distinct geometry, coupled with its tire selection, offers a ride that’s both plush and traction-rich, proficiently navigating from silky gravel routes to demanding off-road tracks. The flat-bar design ensures riders sustain an erect and leisurely posture, minimizing weariness and amplifying the overall cycling experience. The bike’s impeccable fusion of coziness and agility inspires cyclists to venture into uncharted terrains with assurance.
- Effective Top Tube: The Journeyer’s effective top tube length varies across sizes, from 493mm to 600mm, ensuring riders of all sizes can find a comfortable fit. This distinguishes it from bikes that might have a more uniform top tube length.
- Stand Over Height: With stand over heights ranging from 613.5mm to 803.5mm, the Journeyer ensures that riders have adequate clearance, setting it apart from bikes that might have limited stand over variations.
- Reach and Stack: The bike’s reach varies from 366mm to 408mm, and the stack from 510mm to 627mm, providing a balance between the rider’s forward position and the height of the handlebars, differentiating it from bikes with more aggressive or relaxed geometries.
- Headtube Length and Angle: The Journeyer features headtube lengths from 90mm to 210mm and a consistent headtube angle of 69.5° (except for the 49cm size which is 68.5°). This ensures a predictable and controlled ride, especially during descents, compared to bikes with steeper or slacker angles.
- Seat Tube Angle: With seat tube angles ranging from 73° to 76°, the Journeyer offers a comfortable seating position, distinguishing it from bikes that might have steeper angles for aggressive racing or slacker angles for relaxed cruising.
- BB Drop: The bike has a consistent BB drop of 70mm across all sizes, ensuring a low center of gravity for stability, setting it apart from bikes with higher or lower BB drops that might prioritize pedal clearance or stability.
- Chainstay Length: The Journeyer’s chainstay length is a consistent 440mm across all sizes, offering a mix of stability and agility, differentiating it from bikes with shorter chainstays for agility or longer ones for stability.
- Fork Length Axle to Crown: The bike features a consistent fork length axle to crown of 402mm across all sizes, ensuring a balanced front-end feel, different from bikes with longer forks that might prioritize shock absorption.
- Wheelbase: With wheelbases ranging from 1027mm to 1104mm, the Journeyer ensures stability during rides, distinguishing it from bikes with shorter wheelbases for agility or longer ones for stability.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 700C
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Deore 700C, equipped with Shimano Deore drivetrain components, is a more premium version of the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C. While both bikes share the same frame, the primary differences lie in the componentry as follows:
- Rear Derailleur:
- Acolyte 700C: microSHIFT Advent M6195
- Deore 700c: Shimano Deore M5120 SGS, 10/11-speed
- Acolyte 700C: microSHIFT H093, 11–42t, 9 speed
- Deore 700c: Shimano Deore M4100, 11–46t, 10-speed
- Acolyte 700C: KMC Z9
- Deore 700c: Shimano HG54
- Acolyte 700C: FSA Vero Pro 40t, FSA 7420ST 110.5 mm bottom bracket
- Deore 700c: Omega MegaExo 40t, FSA Road MegaExo bottom bracket
- Acolyte 700C: microSHIFT Advent M090
- Deore 700c: Shimano Deore M4100
- Acolyte 700C: Salsa Cowbell 3, 31.8
- Deore 700c: Salsa Salt Flat 31.8, 700 mm
- Grips/Bar Tape:
- Acolyte 700C: Black Cork
- Deore 700c: Salsa File Tread
- Front Wheel:
- Acolyte 700C: Novatec D761DSE 9 x 100 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim, 32h
- Deore 700c: WTB Serra 12 x 100 mm TA hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim, 28h
- Rear Wheel:
- Acolyte 700C: Novatec D762TSE 10 x 135 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim, 32h
- Deore 700c: WTB Serra 10 x 135 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim, 28h
- Tires: Both bikes use Teravail Washburn 700c x 38 mm, 30 tpi tires, but the Deore 700c variant has a Wire Bead.
vs. the Salsa Journeyer Advent 700C
The Salsa Journeyer Advent 700C, equipped with a microSHIFT Advent drivetrain and a drop-bar handlebar, is a more premium version of the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C. While both bikes share the same frame, the primary differences lie in the componentry as follows:
- Advent 700C: Drop-bar design, offering a more aerodynamic and aggressive riding posture.
- Acolyte 700C: Flat-bar design, promoting an upright and relaxed riding stance.
- Cost Implication:
- Advent 700C: Potentially positioned as a slightly higher-end option due to the drop-bar design, which is often associated with racing and performance-oriented bikes.
- Acolyte 700C: Might be perceived as more budget-friendly, given its flat-bar design, which is common in city and commuter bikes.
- Ride Feel:
- Advent 700C: The drop-bar design caters to riders seeking a more racing-oriented, forward-leaning position, suitable for faster terrains and longer rides.
- Acolyte 700C: The flat-bar configuration ensures riders maintain an upright and relaxed stance, ideal for city commuting and leisurely rides.
- Advent 700C: While the specific geometry numbers are consistent with the Acolyte 700C, the drop-bar design can influence the perceived geometry, making the bike feel more aggressive and nimble.
- Acolyte 700C: The bike’s geometry, combined with the flat-bar, provides a more relaxed and comfortable feel, especially for riders new to gravel or adventure cycling.
vs. the Surly Preamble Flat Bar
The Surly Preamble Flat Bar and the Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C, both designed for versatile cycling experiences, exhibit distinct ride characteristics. The Surly Preamble, constructed with 100% Chromoly steel tubing, offers a robust and resilient ride, ideal for urban commuting and light trail use. Its geometry and componentry, such as the microSHIFT Acolyte Xpress shifters, lean towards a more straightforward, utilitarian feel. In contrast, the Salsa Journeyer Acolyte 700C, with its specific gravel-oriented geometry and microSHIFT Advent components, is tailored for adventure cycling, offering a blend of comfort and agility on varied terrains. The Journeyer might be perceived as a slightly more specialized option in comparison.
- Rear Derailleur:
- Surly Preamble: microSHIFT RD-M5185M.
- Acolyte 700C: microSHIFT Advent M6195.
- Surly Preamble: microSHIFT Acolyte Xpress.
- Acolyte 700C: microSHIFT Advent M090.
- Surly Preamble: Kalloy, with a 35mm rise and 9-degree backsweep, designed for a more upright city riding stance.
- Acolyte 700C: Salsa Cowbell 3, 31.8, flat-bar design promoting an upright and relaxed stance suitable for adventure cycling
- Surly Preamble: Constructed with Chromoly steel, known for its durability and resilience.
- Acolyte 700C: Material specifics not mentioned, but typically, Salsa bikes use a mix of aluminum and steel depending on the model.
- Cost Implication:
- Surly Preamble: Given its utilitarian design and focus on city commuting, it might be perceived as a more budget-friendly option.
- Acolyte 700C: With its adventure-oriented features, it could be positioned as a more specialized option, potentially at a slightly higher price point.
- Ride Feel:
- Surly Preamble: Offers a straightforward, utilitarian feel, ideal for urban commuting and light trail use.
- Acolyte 700C: Tailored for adventure cycling, providing a harmonious blend of comfort and agility on varied terrains.
- Surly Preamble: Designed with a focus on urban commuting, ensuring stability and comfort on city roads.
- Acolyte 700C: Specific gravel-oriented geometry, ensuring a balance between stability on straight paths and agility on winding trails.
Versatile Geometry: The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C boasts a geometry tailored for both urban commuting and adventure cycling, ensuring a comfortable and adaptable ride across varied terrains.
Internal Cable Routing: This feature ensures a cleaner look and reduces the chances of cables getting caught or damaged, enhancing the bike’s longevity. By routing cables internally, the bike also benefits from improved aerodynamics, which can lead to slightly better performance.
Efficient Drivetrain: Featuring a microSHIFT Advent M090 shifter, microSHIFT Advent M6195 rear derailleur, and FSA Vero Pro 40t with FSA 7420ST 110.5 mm bottom bracket, the bike promises smooth gear transitions and dependable performance on every ride.
Bag, Rack and Fender Mounting Points
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C is equipped with the following mounting points to cater to all your gear-hauling needs:
Front Fork Mounts: There are multiple mounts on both sides of the front fork for water bottles, cargo cages, or front racks.
Rear Rack Mounts: The rear of the bike has mounts for attaching a standard rear rack for panniers or other gear.
Top Tube Bag Mounts: The top tube features mounts that can accommodate a toptube bag, providing easy access to essentials during a ride.
Down Tube Mounts: The down tube has mounts for a water bottle cage or for attaching additional gear.
Seat Tube Mounts: The seat tube also has mounts for a water bottle cage.
Fender Mounts: The bike has mounts for full coverage fenders, which are essential for wet weather riding.
Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C Featured in the Wild
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C is introduced as Salsa’s latest versatile all-road bicycle, replacing the previous Journeyman model. The Journeyer is designed for both off-pavement prowess and bikepacking, boasting ample tire clearance and numerous mounts for various configurations. As Josh Meissner, the author, highlights, the Journeyer is “a rock-solid adventure machine that should appeal to anyone seeking a do-it-all bike for gravel riding and bikepacking.” The bike’s name change is part of Salsa’s initiative for more inclusive product naming, and the Journeyer also represents a technical evolution over its predecessor.
The Salsa Journeyer, as reviewed by Jordan Grimes on Bikexchange, is a reimagined version of the beloved Salsa Journeyman. This all-road bike has been revamped to be even more versatile and adept. The Journeyer boasts an updated frameset, geometry, and the addition of features like thru-axles, a carbon fiber fork option, and internal routing for dropper posts. Salsa has also responded to feedback by adopting a more inclusive name while retaining the bike’s adventurous essence. Grimes notes, “The overall ride feel is one of comfort and stability on varied terrain.” However, he also points out that while the Journeyer offers a plethora of features, its price might be a tad higher compared to similar bikes in the market.
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C drivetrain is highlighted by a microSHIFT Advent M6195 rear derailleur and a 9-speed cassette with an 11–42t range. For control, it employs Tektro MD-C310 brakes and rotors. The bike’s components include a Salsa Cowbell 3 handlebar and a comfortable WTB Volt Medium saddle. Wheel-wise, it’s equipped with Novatec hubs and WTB ST i23 700c rims, wrapped in Teravail Washburn tires measuring 700c x 38 mm.
- Frame: Journeyer Flat-Bar Quick-Release
- Fork: Fantail
- Front Derailleur: N/A
- Rear Derailleur: microSHIFT Acolyte M5185
- Cassette: microSHIFT H083, 12–42t, 8-speed
- Chain: KMC X8
- Crankset: FSA Vero Pro 40t, FSA 7240S bottom bracket
- Shifter: microSHIFT Acolyte M7180
- Brakes: Tektro MD-U310 with RS360A lever
- Rotors: Tektro TR160-29 (160 mm)
- Headset: FSA NO.42 ACB IS-2
- Stem: Salsa Guide 31.8, 6-degree
- Handlebar: Salsa Salt Flat 31.8, 700 mm
- Grips / Bar Tape: Salsa File Tread
- Seatpost: Salsa Guide 27.2 x 350 mm, 12 mm offset
- Saddle: WTB Volt Medium, Steel, 142 x 265 mm
- Seatclamp: Salsa Lip-Lock
- Front Wheel: Novatec D761DSE 9 x 100 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim, 32h
- Rear Wheel: Novatec D762TSE 10 x 135 mm QR hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim, 32h
- Tires: Teravail Washburn 700c x 38 mm, 30 tpi, Wire Bead
The Salsa Journeyer Flat Bar Acolyte 700C frame is crafted from Fantail Aluminium, tailored for a range of cycling adventures. This bike utilizes a traditional quick-release system, with front axle specifications of 9 x 100 mm and rear axle dimensions of 10 x 135 mm. The rear spacing is established at 135 mm, ensuring compatibility with a diverse range of wheel configurations. Integral features such as the 68 mm BSA bottom bracket, 27.2 mm seat post, and ample mounting points for gear and accessories underscore Salsa’s commitment to practicality and adaptability.
|A. Effective Top Tube||550||570||600||625||650|
|B. Stand Over||613.5||648.5||684.5||720.5||756.5||803.5|
|E. Total Seat Tube Length||340||380||450||490||530|
|F. Headtube Length||90||120||160||200||240|
|G. Headtube Angle||69.5||69.5||69.5||69.5||69.5|
|H. Seat Tube Angle||73||73||73||73||73|
|I. BB Drop||70||70||70||70||70|
|K. Chainstay Length||440||440||440||440||440|
|L. Fork Length Axle to Crown||402||402||402||402||402|
|M. Fork Offset||50||50||50||50||50|
|Crank Arm Length||165||170||172.5||175||175|
|Recommended Rider Height||142 – 155cm||152 – 165cm||163 – 175cm||173 – 185cm||183 – 196cm|
Measurements based on:
- a fork measuring 405mm with 50mm offset
- a 700 x 38mm tire measuring 706 mm in diameter
- Stand over measured vertically to top of top tube from a position 50mm forward of BB center
Register your purchase at Salsa’s Warranty Registration.
Salsa Cycles ( “Salsa ” ) makes the following limited Warranty:
All Salsa products are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship from the date of retail purchase of the product, subject to the limitations detailed below. Every Salsa frame, component, and apparel has a useful product life cycle. The length of that useful product life cycle will vary depending on the construction and the materials of the product, maintenance and care the product receives, and the amount and type of use the product is subjected to over its life. Your bike has an intended level of use as defined by the ASTM Riding Condition Classification Chart. Failure to adhere to the use cases identified in this chart will void your warranty. Save your dated receipt for proof of purchase.
All warranty periods below apply to the original owner only
ONE YEAR WARRANTY
All frame bags
Salsa Cycles does not guarantee the compatibility of original components with a warranty replacement frame. Salsa Cycles is not responsible for parts or labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds.
Salsa Cycles cannot guarantee a color match to the original frame, component, or apparel in the event of a replacement.
This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product. Any other original part or component shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer. Any products not specifically included above are hereby excluded.
TWO YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum chainstays of suspension frames
Aluminum seatstays of suspension frames
Carbon seatstays of suspension frames
All other suspension frame parts (excludes hanger, pivot hardware, bearings)
THREE YEAR WARRANTY
Aluminum front triangles of suspension frames
All Salsa forks
All Salsa components
FIVE YEAR WARRANTY
Carbon front triangle of suspension frames
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING
Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user or assemble
Bicycles that were not assembled or serviced by an authorized Salsa Cycles dealer
Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition, or for commercial purposes such as rental, courier, police, security, etc, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with Salsa frames and components
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from an unauthorized dealer
Salsa Cycles bicycles, frames, components or softgoods purchased from third-party internet sites, including auction websites, and regional trading websites (examples: Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist) are not covered under this warranty, even if you have a receipt
Sandblasting, sanding, grinding, wire brushing, filing, welding, brazing, drilled holes, anodizing, refinishing, powder coating, or chrome plating the bicycle, frame, or component will void the warranty
Internal rust perforation on all steel frames
Wear, scratches, chips and cracks to paint, finish, or coating on all Salsa frames and components
Bent or broken derailleur hangers or Alternator plates
Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly, including wheel rebuilds
Damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste
Normal wear and tear
This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective product, at the option of Salsa Cycles, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the Salsa Cycles product and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to Salsa Cycles products purchased through an authorized dealer or distributor. In no event shall Salsa Cycles be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential, or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to our products except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights.
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
For 2013 and older model bicycles and products, please consult your Owner’s Manual, Salsa Cycles product instructions, or contact Salsa Cycles or your authorized Salsa dealer for the applicable warranty information.