The Umtanum Ridge is a steep and lonesome ridge in the central Cascade Mountains that is so remote, European settlers never renamed it, and it carries its ancestral Yakima name to this day. Designed with this diverse back trail in mind, the Umtanum Ridge is the latest dual purpose tire from Rene Herse that is ready to accompany you on your next bikepacking trip.
The Umtanum Ridge measures a true 55mm wide on a 23mm rim and wears the exact knob pattern as the Fleecer Ridge that won Bikepacking.com’s coveted ‘Gear of the Year’ award’ . Its large and widely spaced knobs grip tenaciously when conditions get tough. On pavement, it rolls and corners like a slick thanks to its large and strategically placed knobs that don’t squirm and always put the same amount of rubber on the road. The Umtanum Ridge features noise cancellation technology that works when the staggered tread blocks create overlapping noise frequencies that partially cancel each other. This means that on most surfaces, the Umtanum Ridge doesn’t just roll as fast as a slick – it’s also as quiet as a slick.
Offering a fast and quiet ride on pavement, and excellent grip on loose gravel and dirt, the Umtanum will serve you well as an all-rounded tire you can rely on just as well out on excursions in the wilderness as on dashes around town.
All models feature:
- Clincher, folding bead
- Standard casing has supple casing
- Endurance casing has ultra-fine threads and protective belt under sidewalls and tread
- Made in Japan
- Maximum pressure with tubes: 55 psi (3.8 bar)
- Maximum recommended pressure – tubeless: 55 psi (3.8 bar)
- Actual width on 21 mm rim (internal): approx. 56 mm
- Actual width on 23 mm rim (internal): approx. 57 mm
- Extralight casing: +1 mm width
- Tubeless: +0.5 mm width
- Recommended rim: 17 – 40 mm (inner width; hookless: +1 mm)
- Standard casing: 580 g
- Endurance casing: 595 g